Adding Honey in Honey Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

runt23

Reaction score
Hey guys. I am looking to make a honey brown ale. I am working on putting together a recipe. I am wondering when I should add the honey and how much?

Should I replace the sugar with the honey or maybe cut back the sugar and add less honey? I'm not looking for a real strong honey flavour.

Thanks

Post the recipe. I wouldn't add sugar to the recipe as it would dry it out too much, especially if using honey too.

You can add the honey at flameout as most people do, or add it to the fermenter a day or two into fermentation too. Adding at flameout will leave little flavor and aromatics from the honey however, you will reserve a lot of that by putting it into fermentation. Depends which profile you're trying to nail.

Getting bugs from the honey really isn't an issue/argument to adding it at flameout especially if it is pasteurized.

Research honey flavor in beer and honey malt. You may get more honey flavor in your beer by steeping a pound of honey malt.

Back