Adding finings in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Southwood

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've got an IPA in primary right now that I have high hopes for. I was looking to enter it into a few contests & such. My issue is that, during the boil, I forgot to add any kettle finings :( I've used gelatin with success when kegging, but I'll be bottle-carbing this batch. Will the gelatin leave enough yeasties in suspension to carb this bad boy, or should I just settle for a delicious, if cloudy, brew?

Thanks, and cheers! :mug:

Seeing as British Real Ale brewers add finings as they're racking to cask, and their beer seems to condition to satisfaction, I shouldn't think you've got anything to worry about.

Finings don't strip all the yeast from the beer. While the finings precipitate most of the proteins and yeast, there will still be some yeast left in suspension in the fined beer, sufficient to complete the conditioning secondary fermentation.

Cheers (and good luck in the competitions!),

Bob

WBC said:
You can add new fresh yeast to the bottling bucket too just to make sure.

Wouldnt this just create more Trub in the bottle itself?

Back