Adding FermFast Glucoamylase Enzyme for Brut IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwing7486

Reaction score
I have seen lots of people saying to mash low and add enzymes to the mash when making a "Brut" IPA. When looking at the FermFast description and instructions I understand the part of mashing low as the enzyme is tolerable up to 149F, but the pH range says its stable only up to a pH of 5. With beers being mashed at the 5.2 to 5.4 range does this mean the enzyme will not be as effective? Would it make more sense to add the enzyme post boil by chilling wort to 145F turning of the chiller and adding both the enzyme and whirlpool hops and recirculating for 15 minutes before chilling to sach pitch temps?

https://www.austinhomebrew.com/FermFast-Glucoamylase-Enzyme_p_6377.html

I used AMG300L from Austin Homebrew. Not real sure of the difference between what you used and mine but here's what I did.
My mash PH was 5.4. I added 2ML of enzyme at 30 min into the mash. Mash temp was 145. I then added 3 ml enzyme after the boil during the WP when the temp hit 125. Let both additions sit for 30 min.
My Brut ended up at .997. I am drinking it now. It is dry but not as dry as I thought it would be. I also added 6 oz DH (mosaic & citra). I think I could have added more hops at some point, either boil or WP. I don't think I would add any more than 6 oz in the DH. I had a total of 10.4 oz hops for a 5 gal batch (into keg).

I used AMG300L from Austin Homebrew. Not real sure of the difference between what you used and mine but here's what I did.
My mash PH was 5.4. I added 2ML of enzyme at 30 min into the mash. Mash temp was 145. I then added 3 ml enzyme after the boil during the WP when the temp hit 125. Let both additions sit for 30 min.
My Brut ended up at .997. I am drinking it now. It is dry but not as dry as I thought it would be. I also added 6 oz DH (mosaic & citra). I think I could have added more hops at some point, either boil or WP. I don't think I would add any more than 6 oz in the DH. I had a total of 10.4 oz hops for a 5 gal batch (into keg).

I think I'm going to just go for it and add the enzyme to the mash at 146F and see what happens. The 10.4oz of hops seems right, Im going with a combo of Ekuanot, Mosaic, and Amarillo and go with a NEIPA dry hopping schedule. my hop weight will be slightly less as im going to use cryo hops so will have a total of 1oz each cryo ekuanot and cryo mosaic in the dry hop and 2oz total of amarillo. I dont know what yeast you used but im going to try using Imperial Dry Hop for my first run at the Brut.

What type of water profile you use for your brut? Right now im planning more of a "NEIPA" profile with a SO4/Cl of 0.6.

i second the last post, i use gluco to make light beer...(get a 8% instead of 6%, and actually has LESS calories)....

directions on the package i get from brewhaus says to add at room temp...

I add it (1/3-1/2 tsp powdered gluco) as fermentation is winding down. I don't do IPA, but it works great in imperial stouts, tripels, and quads. Will take just about anything down to ~1.000 or lower, even at very high ABV levels.

Back