Adding complexity to an Amarillo IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morrillt

Reaction score
Greetings I have an Amarillo IPA, basically its just amarillo for dry hops and magnum for bittering.

I want to make it a bit more floral and complex. In the direction of lagunitas.

We are restricted in terms of local yeast (I live in south america), and need to use s-04 as the base.

I am curious given the restriction of s-04, what would yall recomend for hop profile? I know that lagunitas has made public their recipes....

We really like the amarillo base, the question really is what can we add as far as 1 or maximum two hopps to make a more robust floral quality that would pair well with amarillo / s04....

Best
Todd

I really think that my IPA's have improved more from focusing on yeast and malt than my use of hops.

I've tried all different sorts of hop combos and have decided that chinook, cascade, and Amarillo are my favorite.

I do all three for bittering, late addition and dry hop.

The biggest improvement in my IPA was when I decided to add a pound of wheat malt, reduce the crystal, and most importantly I switched from using 1056 and 1968 to using the Belgian Ardennes yeast.

Simcoe always pairs well with Amarillo.
You can also try either Centennial or Mosaic.
Best of luck.

Back