adding cider to beer, bad idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do it?

• Yes, it'll be good

• NO, it's be really bad

Results are only viewable after voting.

kristiismean

Reaction score
Quick question.

I have a Kolsch (all grain) that is ready for kegging. I have a 1 gallon batch of apple cherry cider that is done fermenting. (10%).

has anyone added stuff like this to a lighter beer like a kolsh? (we would bottle off 1 gallon of the beer before adding it to the keg.)

Good idea, bad idea?

nothing ventured nothing gained what is the worst that can happen you end up with something that you dont like and have to toss it or make it vanish when some friends show up for a "extended tasting session"

I would do a trial first before blending a whole batch. Try adding a small amount of the cider the next time you drink a beer. If you like the flavor, scale it up.

You can blend them after they're carbonated. Stiegl Radler is fruit soda blended with beer and Polish brewery Warka makes an Apple Radler so you're not too far off from that.

While I haven't blended after fermentation similar to your suggestion, I do make a graf each year- usually 2.5G of an Altbier base plus 3-3.5 G cider. I like it.

Mix a little in a glass first, to see how you like it.

Some people might love it. Others (like me) would hate it. But you're the one that has to drink it!

My guess is that it will end up muting the best aspects of the Kolsch, and replacing it with a sharp/acidic taste that won't even be recognizable as the source fruit. But I could be wrong.

I am going with you mattdee, but am going to carb them seperately and mix. 1/4 ratio. If it's good, Ill mix the kegs after drinking 1 gallon off the kolsch.

Thanks guys, never occured to me to do it seperately...

Back