Adding chili peppers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snaka

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I've got about 100g of chili peppers and decided to brew a Belgian dark strong ale with it. It will be about 7% abv, but I'm interested, how much and when should I add chili if I want it pretty hot :) if I add all amount, will it be enough? Did someone try to brew something similar?

i just brewed a cream ale that we added jalepeno's to.

added after primary fermentation. i would just slowly add a few peppers every couple days until you get the heat you'd like, and package from there!

i just brewed a cream ale that we added jalepeno's to.

added after primary fermentation. i would just slowly add a few peppers every couple days until you get the heat you'd like, and package from there!

Any tips on using peppers in a beer? I used jalapenos a couple of years ago and had issues with the beer retaining a head. This was a recipe I had made successfully a couple of other times w/o the jalapenos, so I assumed the oils in the peppers killed head retention?

I have 10 wheat beers w/Jalepenos added conditioning now. The Jalepenos are from my garden. I cut them in 1/2, scraped out the seeds, soaked in vodka and added 1/2 to each bottle during bottling. I still have another week of conditioning before I put them in the fridge. These peppers were really hot for some reason. I have never had Jalepenos so hot before.

Any tips on using peppers in a beer? I used jalapenos a couple of years ago and had issues with the beer retaining a head. This was a recipe I had made successfully a couple of other times w/o the jalapenos, so I assumed the oils in the peppers killed head retention?

Could be the oils. I split this 10gal of cream ale and added coconut chips/flakes to the other 5gal. i was concerned about the oils in the coconut as well, but it didnt affect it.

for both the jalepeno's and coconut flakes, i baked them. (jalepenos i cut in half first). After baking at about 250 for 20-30 mins, i patted them dry, which removed some oils. i suspect that's why i didn't experience any head retention issues.

Depends from which chili is, I added a ridiculous low amount of moruga scorpion in a imperial stout (fortunately only few bottles) and it's undrinkable

Could be the oils. I split this 10gal of cream ale and added coconut chips/flakes to the other 5gal. i was concerned about the oils in the coconut as well, but it didnt affect it.

for both the jalepeno's and coconut flakes, i baked them. (jalepenos i cut in half first). After baking at about 250 for 20-30 mins, i patted them dry, which removed some oils. i suspect that's why i didn't experience any head retention issues.

I think I'll give the peppers another try but use your baking method on the next batch.

Almost a year ago, I made a Cayenne Porter. I did a Robust Porter extract kit and added cayenne peppers into the secondary. I soaked about 12 4 inch long cayenne's in vodka after I cut the peppers into 1 inch rings. I let the peppers soak in the vodka for about 2 weeks and then poured everything into the secondary after the fermentation settled down. The beer came out wonderful. A little bit of back end spice. Just be careful not to add too much, you could make it undrinkable.

Almost a year ago, I made a Cayenne Porter. I did a Robust Porter extract kit and added cayenne peppers into the secondary. I soaked about 12 4 inch long cayenne's in vodka after I cut the peppers into 1 inch rings. I let the peppers soak in the vodka for about 2 weeks and then poured everything into the secondary after the fermentation settled down. The beer came out wonderful. A little bit of back end spice. Just be careful not to add too much, you could make it undrinkable.

You have my wheels spinning as I love to experiment. To me, this is what makes home brewing so rewarding as we can express our creativity 5 gallons at a time.

For example, I think a tiny bit of capsicum heat is suited for chocolate, naturally a stout fits this bill. Not enough to make you fan the flames, but enough to tickle your taste buds. Last year I racked a stout on raspberries and hit on a winner. This fall I plan to do a stout racked on cherries.....but wonder if a tiny hint of cayenne would compete for attention or compliment the flavor profile??

dark chocolate and chili pepper is apparently an excellent flavour combo. i intend on doing up a choco chilli porter later in the summer to hopefully sip and enjoy the warmth come fall time. If it works out...i think the choco/chilli would really compliment a strong RIS next!!

the power of a pepper can vary so widely id be careful about just chucking some in. on jalepeno beers i throw like 5 in (i taste them all to make sure).

the best way to get the desired heat is to do what was said previously, soak the peppers in vodka and add slowly to your keg or bottling bucket to get the right flavour.

Latest posts

Back