Adding Brett after bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dicken74

Reaction score
I brewed up and bottled a Berliner Weiss that has some funky Parmesan cheese aroma and flavors. It's been present from the beginning, but since this was my first attempt at souring I was hopeful that it might go away if I just let it age a bit. It hasn't.

I have about 4.5 gallons of this stuff bottled, and I hate to dump it. I've read that Brett will clean up these types of flavors. Is it possible to open the bottles, dump them into a fermenter, and pitch with Brett? Can you do that with beer that has already been carbonated?

If I was going to go that road, I would just get a vial of Brett C. and use a pipette to put 1/2 or 1 ml of Brett into each bottle. Open, put the brett in, recap each one. I would not attempt to dump them back into a bucket. the only thing you would be out is some caps, some time and the cost of a bottle of Brett C. I have bottled some beers that I was not entirely pleased with and added Brett C. at Bottling and had them come out great.

If I was going to go that road, I would just get a vial of Brett C. and use a pipette to put 1/2 or 1 ml of Brett into each bottle. Open, put the brett in, recap each one. I would not attempt to dump them back into a bucket. the only thing you would be out is some caps, some time and the cost of a bottle of Brett C. I have bottled some beers that I was not entirely pleased with and added Brett C. at Bottling and had them come out great.

When you added in the Brett at bottling, how long did it take before it was ready to drink?

To state the obvious, if you just added the Brett to the bottles, you would have to worry about over-carbing. You already have your regularly carbonated beer (presumably in the roughly 2.5 volumes range). If the Brett then chomps down some leftover dextrins or other sugars that sacch doesn't eat, and drops the FG a few more points in the bottle, you could easily create some fun little bombs that are dangerous AND messy.

When you added in the Brett at bottling, how long did it take before it was ready to drink?

Probably depends a lot on temperature. However, I have found mine to take 2-4 months.

As far as bottle bombs..... that is definitely something to evaluate.
*What is the FG in the beer right now?
*How highly carbonated are they currently?
*What kind of bottles..... heavy 750ml bottles or light 12 ounce regular bottles

I have now bottled 4 or 5 x 5 gallon batches with Brett. It is a bit of trial/error/patience. But, in the end, the flavor of all batches has come around really nicely. One batch ended up perfectly (highly) carbonated. So, far, my biggest issue has been some batches that (at least so far) have kind of come in with "normal" carbonation as opposed to the higher level of carbonation that is desired in a Saison. So, under carbonation has been my biggest issue so far.

That said.... definitely evaluate the above variables. You will lose some carbonation when you open each bottle..... but some will definitely remain.

I would sample from time to time and if you feel they are getting where you want them, get them in the fridge and don't let them linger too long.:mug:

Back