Adding bitterness...need a math person

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prrriiide

Reaction score
Smokin cigarettes and watching Captain Kangaroo
I have a wee heavy - Irish red mash up I did that is about 10% ABV. The problem is, I undershot the bitterness for the alcohol level (it doesn't help that I got much higher than expected attenuation - BeerSmith est OG was 1.103, which I hit, and FG was 1.032, I got 1.020).

Est IBUs was 34. Obviously, that's low for the beer (but not for either style), so I want to add in a hop tea to try and balance the beer.

I plan on boiling 1 oz of Magnum in 2.5 pints of the beer for 60 minutes. I am assuming a quarter pint boil off to yield 2 pints of hop tea. I'll add a pint into each 5g keg.

I set BeerSmith to a 10g batch (even though I'm only actually boiling 2.5 pints) since I'm diluting into 10g. I know the utilization, etc will be off, but I'm hoping this will get me in the ballpark. According to BeerSmith's figures, this should add 30 IBUs or so to each keg, hopefully getting me to about 60-65 IBU for the beer.

Am I figuring this right?

According to my calculations, using 30 grams (1.05 oz) of magnum pellets at 12.4%, you will get 30 ibus
So....
Yes, looks about right to me

I don't feel like running the math. However, 1 oz Magnum seems like way too much. I would use closer to 1/4 oz. But, if you must make this 65 IBUs, then maybe you are right. It just seems so out of whack for the styles, but I suppose you need to suit your own tastes.

My calculations come out to 30 ibu's with one ounce boiled for 60 min. You should get ~ 30% utilization. Your evaporation rate will be higher because there is no sugar, and thermodynamics don't translate to different pot sizes and shapes. if I was doing it I would use a cover. With that small amount of water you might have 50% evap. Think about how long you have to boil 2 beers so they reduce in half for adding to homemade ice cream.

For our club picinic we have a beer food competition, and last year I made IIPA waffles and RIS ice cream sandwiches , I took 2nd place behind a sour sherbet. I used beer instead of water in the waffle recipe and reduced the RIS to a syrup to add to the ice cream mixture, it was awesome. I used a whole vanilla bean recipe and just added the syrup.

For our club picinic we have a beer food competition, and last year I made IIPA waffles and RIS ice cream sandwiches , I took 2nd place behind a sour sherbet. I used beer instead of water in the waffle recipe and reduced the RIS to a syrup to add to the ice cream mixture, it was awesome. I used a whole vanilla bean recipe and just added the syrup.

Wow...I've thrown some beer in soups and chilis, cooked roasts in it...but this is awesome.
IIPA in waffles doesn't sound good to me...how bitter were they?

Somewhat related: When on vacation on Aruba we went to a "Dutch Pancake" place and they had what turned out to be malt syrup (label was in Dutch) on the table for putting on the pancakes. Seemed to be about the same as the stuff we might brew with. I tried it and it wasn't bad but still prefer the usual maple.

I don't feel like running the math. However, 1 oz Magnum seems like way too much. I would use closer to 1/4 oz. But, if you must make this 65 IBUs, then maybe you are right. It just seems so out of whack for the styles, but I suppose you need to suit your own tastes.

All things being equal, I would normally agree that 65 is too much for the styles, but all things aren't equal; this beer is well north of 10%. The current 34 IBUs are at the top of the style guidelines for both styles, but the beer is still too sweet by a whole bunch. Like waffle syrup sweet. Like I-would-send-it-back-at-the-bar sweet. I really think 65 will be about where it needs to be to balance.

I tried doing this one time and completely ruined my beer and dumped 5 gallons. Good luck.

Maybe use a hopshot instead?

Not bitter at all,with the sweetness from the ice cream. When I make a big beer like this one ,it ages sometime s for a year, so most of the hop character has mellowed out. For example my RIS's are 1yr grain to glass, 1.110 sg and 1.019 fg with 70 calculated IBU's. It's one perfectly balanced beer.

Not bitter at all,with the sweetness from the ice cream. When I make a big beer like this one ,it ages sometime s for a year, so most of the hop character has mellowed out. For example my RIS's are 1yr grain to glass, 1.110 sg and 1.019 fg with 70 calculated IBU's. It's one perfectly balanced beer.

Just might have to try me some beerffles...

Back