Adding Beer Finings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris_newton

Reaction score
Hi all

Is there a way of knowing after adding finings to the fermenting bin how long you have to wait before you can bottle it.

Thanks

Chris

What did you add? I used polyclar in the secondary...NOT PRIMARY. My secondary carboy is clear and you could definately tell the difference in clarity. I will never use fining agents again. I mostly did it for friends that freaked out drinking a "not so clear" beer. Now I am brewing for me, being selfish. If my friends don't like it, great, more for me. :D

so can you not add it to primary? as i dont do a secondary fermentation, it hoes from fermenting bin to bottles.

Thanks

Like I said, it depends a lot on what you use. I used polyclar, it takes out almost everything, including yeast beasties. You have to wait until your ferment is done, or you will end up with too high s.g. and nothing to finish up your ferment. What are you using for a fining agent?

I did a quick google on Beer Brite. It looks to me like it is a gelatin and it should be used 6 to 24 hours before bottling. Was your ferment done before you added these? Adding it to the primary would work only if your ferment was done as it takes away all the friendly beasties munching away and you don't want them to go away until they are done munching.

Thanks and no i have not added them yet as its still fermenting so ofcourse i will add them when its finished.

Thanks

Should work out just fine. I suggest you get another vessel for secondary fermentation. I brewed for quite a few years (being very pleased with the results) going from primary to bottling. This past year I bought a glass carboy for secondary fermentation and L O V E it. It really does make a differance, especially with clarity and taste. Getting that beer off the trub is huge. Good Luck

cheers, loop

Back