Adding a Digital Thermometer to a Glass Demijohn

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Li1t

Reaction score
Hi there,

This is my first post here, but I've read a few threads. I'm interested in making Mead, and will probably experiment with other wine-like liquids (fruit wines, like Strawberry. I'm not too interested in grape wine). My first batch (of Joe's Ancient Orange Mead) is underway. I just purchased a second Demijohn which I filled with a Lemon/Ginger wort this time.

I'm also a computer programmer by trade, mostly working in PHP but I've done some C++, Objective C (iPhone) and other languages. I was thinking about putting my recently-procured Raspberry Pi to work as a monitor for my small-time brewing.

I've ordered some electronic, waterproof, thermometers. I may have jumped the gun, however, as I'm not 100% sure how I'd get these into my Demijohns so I'd really know what temperature at which the fermentation process is occurring at. I was thinking about drilling a second hole in the bung, and was wondering if anyone had tried anything similar. If so, how would you recommend ensuring an air-tight seal again afterwards? I'm probably going to need to pass a good length of wire through the hole, so it can't be too tight, so I'll presumably need to seal it somehow afterwards.

I'm also trying to figure-out a way to monitor specific gravity electronically. It seems such sensors are hella expensive.

My initial thought was to weigh the Demijohn empty, measure the OG as per usual (I have a glass Hydrometer), fill the Demijohn to a known volume, and keep the Demijohn on an electronic scale. As we know the gravity of the solution, the volume, and the weight of the demijohn: we can calculate-away the non-soluable mass (raisins, orange :p) leaving us with a solution weight that reduces as the carbon in the sugar becomes CO2 and ethanol. Of-course the problem with this is that the volume may change (Evapouration, etc) but that may be slow enough that I can monitor it manually or factor it out in some other way. Still, if I can get a load sensor circuit working to give me a digital input then I'd like to try it and see how the estimated FG result compares to the glass hydrometer's. Maybe a relationship could be established?

Cheers,

Li1t

No replies? Seems I may have the wrong board. Would DIY Projects be better? Is there any way to move the thread?

I had a similar project based on Raspberry Pi and Arduino Uno to monitor temperature, pressure and bubble rate through the fermentation lock. All the data are logged to a MySQL server so that given the initial SG and amount of CO2 (bubbles) produced, the fermentation could be guestimated.

Temperature is easy, you want a thermowell, any major brewing supply house should have them. It is a stainless tube sealed in one end that goes through the bung. You could also tape it to the side of the fermenter with some bubble wrap or or Styrofoam as insulation. Many folks have proven that the difference in temperature is negligible.

As for measuring gravity that's a hard one. The problem is you have to remember that some of the sugar mass will end up as yeast mass that will stay in the fermenter.

Latest posts

Back