addidng fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redtab78

Reaction score
I recently made BM Centennial blonde ale, and after 4 days in primary, I racked it into a secondary on top of 2 cans of apricot puree, and let it sit for 5 days, then kegged. the problem I am having is how tart the beer is (to the point that I almost cant drink it and enjoy it). My original goal was to get a slightly fruity flavor off the apricots, but maintain the blonde ale characteristics.

So I am wondering, is there a proper way to make a blonde ale, that can be universally added to any fruit (fresh, canned etc) that will absord some of the flavor without being overbearing?

That a problem Ive had with fruit beers. The sugar in the fruit ferments out leaving a hint of the flavor in a tart dry beer.

Im doing a mango dubbel tonight and Im going to mash high, put some honey malt in the mash and and some lactose. Hopefully all of the above will up the FG a little and add some sweetness to avoid that tart finish.

I just did my house wheat and after I kegged and it was carbed I added blood orange Puree and it has a slight tartness but but not to harsh. I only add fruit/extract additions after the beer is kegged and cold so it doesn't ferment out if I'm going for a sweet taste.

Back