Added too much hops!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matman89

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I was attempting to brew the lemon lime hefeweizen recipe. It calls for the following additions of hops for a 6 gallon recipe:

0.25 Motueka Hops at 60 Minutes
0.25 Sorachi Ace 20 minutes
0.25 Motueka Hops 20 minutes
0.25 Sorachi Ace 7 Minutes

However, I'm only brewing 3 gallons. I goofed up by scaling everything down except for the hops.

Did I ruin my batch? I hit my target OG, but I'm worried that it is going to be way too bitter? Thoughts?

Thank you!

only time will tell my friend. maybe you created something remarkable instead .relax have a beer and let it unfold .

I would say you are fine. Motueka isn't too powerful and overall you doubled a lightly hopped beer.

Hoppy wheats are one of my favorite styles. Hopefully the lemon and lime blend well with them. I doubt it'll come out like a tripple IPA though so don't sweat it.

Before I even read the situation, my answer was no.

Now that I read it - you are fine.

More bitter, yes. Too bitter, I doubt it.

If the 20 minute additions were 15 or less I would have said you probably made it better. But then again I like hoppy beers.

Too hoppy? Syntax error...does not compute. You will be fine as long as you like hops. If not, let it age...hops will lose some of their effect after a period of time.

Brew another batch and blend it if it throws off the balance of the beer. Although odds are you'll probably not want 6 gallons of that stuff lying around and obviously would have to wait to pitch your yeast which has its risks.

Excellent opportunity to try a couple different yeasts or techniques but like the others have said you'll most likely be fine.

Latest posts

Back