Added too much flavor extract...Help!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walfy10

Reaction score
Little background I brewed a robust porter with a high flocc yeast that has dropped clear. I kegged it today and the flavor was absolutely perfect! So what do I decide to do I add 1.5oz of Peanut Butter extract from Silver cloud Apex. BIG MISTAKE it now has a super overpowering cracker jack flavor and aroma. Super disappointed! Im torn whether to dump this or try to salvage it. I figured instead of force carbing the keg I can add priming sugar to it and carbonate naturally to hopefully tone down this shite flavor. Has anyone ever added to much extract and been able to remedy the problem?

I figured instead of force carbing the keg I can add priming sugar to it and carbonate naturally to hopefully tone down this shite flavor.

I can't think of a reason why carbonating with sugar instead of force carbonating would reduce the peanut butter extract flavor. What's the logic behind this?

Also, sorry, I don't have a great answer for how to salvage this. But two possibilities come to mind.
- Wait. Some flavors do fade with time. Admittedly, I don't know if this flavor would.
- Re-brew your perfect porter without the PB extract. Then blend the two beers in the glass.

I can't think of a reason why carbonating with sugar instead of force carbonating would reduce the peanut butter extract flavor. What's the logic behind this?

Also, sorry, I don't have a great answer for how to salvage this. But two possibilities come to mind.
- Wait. Some flavors do fade with time. Admittedly, I don't know if this flavor would.
- Re-brew your perfect porter without the PB extract. Then blend the two beers in the glass.
Logic being that more by products from fermentation would possibly help tone down this flavor or yeast would scrub it out somewhat.

Back