Added sulfured molasses at end of boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abw73

Reaction score
Was brewing a partial mash and to increase the gravity, I added molasses. The homebrew store had a generic container labeled molasses 1 lb. No expiration, didn't say it was sulfured.

I opened it to add during the last 5 minutes of the boil. IT STUNK! I've never used molasses in my life so I didn't know if that was normal. I did some google searching and found mixed answers, some said it is sweet, others said rotten eggs. I added it to the boil. The wort still stinks of sulfur.

After I did all this I read about using unsulfured in brewing. Didn't know about it.

Am I screwed? Will the smell go away with aging? I searched here and on google but could not find a definite answer.

Also, I made a quart size yeast starter using that wort. Is that safe to use?

Last edited:
I haven't experienced a sulfur problem with molasses, but I can tell you one thing for sure based on my experience: a pound of it is way too much for my tastes, assuming 5 gallons. That amount will probably make the final beer taste like iron/metallic, and very strongly of black licorice of course. I would have only used a couple ounces in 5 gallons.

Regarding sulfur, in general, sulfur compounds are extremely volatile and should ferment out, that would be my guess. If you could smell it during the boil, just think of how much sulfur is no longer in the beer! It's actually a good thing probably.

Back