Added gypsum late

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grumpybumpy

Reaction score
First post! Been lurking for a while now, and learning a lot.

I brewed my first extract pale on saturday and everything went pretty smoothly. However, about 45 minutes into the boil I realized that I hadn't thrown in the gypsum that the hbs provided in the kit (apparently we have soft water). Not thinking much of it, I just dumped it in for the remaining 15 minutes. Is that enough time for it to dissociate? Will this cause any weird off flavors? Fermentation seems to be going as planned.

You are fine.

Gypsum (CaSO4) has three purposes: 1) used in the mash to lower the mash pH (ideal mash pH = 5.2-5.4), 2) increase the sulfates in the beer, which helps "enhance" hop character, and 3) add Calcium to the beer, which is a necessary mineral for yeast

Since this is an extract batch, point #1 doesn't hold. Theoretically, you can add gypsum at any point to achieve point #2 and #3.

Thanks for the quick response! I figured it wasn't much to worry about, but I figured I'd ask the experts

Back