Added corn sugar too early in the boil. Problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi folks.

So, I did a MoreBeer Pliny kit today and misread one step and added the included 1 lb. of corn sugar at 60 minutes of a 90 min full boil instead of at 10 min as instructed. Will this have an impact on the brew? I don't think simple sugar beaks down and since it was a full boil it still ultimately ended up at the same concentration. Maybe a little more caramelization since it was exposed to heat for a longer period but that's the only thing I can think of. Ultimately I am thinking it shouldn't matter much but I'm a newb and you folks are the experts so I come to you for answers!

Thanks!

ps: smelled awesome. even I smell like hops...

You're right - you might get some more caramelization but I doubt you'll notice much difference, especially for a big beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

you might get more hop utilization but extra carmelization is always been a plus in my humble opinion .....in my british pale ale I use lyles syrup and I always cook it more to carmelize it before I add it at :D

I believe you will get LESS hop utilization. Shouldn't be the end of the world, though.

Personally, regardless of directions, I would have added the sugar as a syrup after fermentation started to subside to ensure complete fermentation.

Back