added champagne yeast to wort....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bendog15

Reaction score
novice all grain brewer here. Just brewed my 2nd batch of all grain beer, it is a blonde ale. OG came out a lot higher than expected (shouldnt have added all that beet sugar) 1.087 wowsers.
Anyway the yeast starter that I had made 24 hours ago (WLP550 belgian ale yeast) didnt look terribly active but I aerated the wort properly and pitched anyways, hoping for the best. 48 hours later no activity and I was getting nervous. 72 hours later and my buddy told me I should just hydrate some champagne yeast I had in the fridge and pitch it, or I was in danger of losing the beer.
I hydrated a pack of Lalvin EC-1118 and pitched it. 24 hours later I see a very active fermentation and big head of krausen forming.
My question is- what kind of taste can I expect now that I threw champagne yeast in my beer? Is it gonna be awful? Do u think it will ferment completely? I realize for a beer that big I should have made 2 starters, but hindsight is 20/20.

Humm... I don't think champagne yeast ferments maltose but it will eat up any simple sugars quickly. If the Brewers yeast did nothing , then expect a sweet mess. My guess is the Brewers yeast did end up taking off but you were likely lacking in cells and oxygen. It's anyone's guess how your beer will turn out. ITs possible it ends up under attenuated with some off favors... Maybe a bit cidery from what the champagne yeast was able to work on. There's also a good chance you brewed a nice belgian

Back