Add hops to lite beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puttster

Reaction score
I've been buying lite beer 30 cans for $19. Nice yes, but flavorless. I miss my homebrew.
What I'd like to do is pour the cold beer and add a bit of hops water that I would keep in a jar in the fridge. I was thinking of duplicating the way I brew, hops at 1 hour boil and again at 15 minutes. Probably I am way overthinking this experiment. Also, I don'r want to add a bunch of water to what is already 96% water. Ideally not more than one ounce of hops water will do the job.
Suggestions?

If you are suggesting pouring your cans o' macro lager into a kettle and boiling the beer with hops, I suggest unless you're interested in "brewing" a low/no alcohol beer-like concoction that you don't. And adding "hop water" is going to thin what little "beer" flavor you started with even without boiling the beer.

Buy better beer.

Cheers!

Why not pour some of the beer into a French press, drop in the hop pellets then lower the plunger. Could get hop flavors and no pieces in your glass. Never tried this, just guessing!

I bet if you’re gentle about it you won’t take all of the carbonation out, but yeah you’re right you would lose some

Can we ask why you no longer homebrew? Sorry if a sensitive subject, but you can make some fantastic homebrew with just a stovetop and enough space for a bucket to ferment it in.

I'm pretty sure OP wants to add hoppiness to one cheap beer at a time. So put a drop of extract in the glass and pour the beer on top seems to be the way to go.
Thanks for the responses.
I checked out hop oils, they might be too much, one drop is for a gallon. I don't really want bittering hops per se, looking more for flavor.
The clawhammer videos on the subject are pretty interesting!
I've been using this "NADA," about 1/3 of a can per 12 oz lite beer. It's just about right flavor-wise but at $10 a six pack, well, that's why I'm looking for an alternative.

Attachments

• IPA.jpg
    IPA.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I checked out hop oils, they might be too much, one drop is for a gallon. I don't really want bittering hops per se, looking more for flavor.
There was a recent promotion for this product. The instructions say that one bottle (1ml) is enough for a 5 gallon batch, or 1 to 2 drops per 1L of beer. So 1 drop per beer might work. I have 1 bottle, but I have not tried it out.

https://cornykeg.com/collections/hopzoil
Personally, I would look for a source of inexpensive commercial Blonde Ale, Pale Ale or Session IPA.

Personally, I would look for a source of inexpensive commercial Blonde Ale, Pale Ale or Session IPA.

I like this one all right. Very drinkable and actually tastes like something. Only costs about 50% more than twice what you're paying for the lite beer you're trying to fix. Not sure if calories are an issue though.

edit - my bad on the price

Last edited:
Back