Add grain to bag then into water? Or bag into water then grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hezagenius

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just wondering what everyone's technique is. Do you put the grain into the bag, then slowly add the bag to the filled kettle, then stir? Or do you put the bag into the filled kettle, then slowly add the grain and stir? Will that first option lead to doughballs?

I add slow stirring the whole time. But it shouldn't matter as long as you can stir it.

I've always done the second, bag in then pour grain into the bag while stirring. Never had any issues.

I fix the bag in the kettle, then pour all the grain into the kettle in one fell swoop, then quickly begin stirring until nicely mixed. I do larger batches so adding and stirring at the same time is not possible. If you add the grain to the bag first it can be a little messy as the grain dust will leak out of the bag.

My advice, don't overthink it, put the bag in the kettle and add the grain and stir, unless you find vice versa easier. It's not that big a deal :)

I've always put my bag in my bucket, crush directly in the bag, then move the bag to the water/pot and always get at least 85% efficiency.

I had a thread about this awhile back, as I too was curious.

Do you grind your own or at the store? I grind and simply line a homer bucket with my bag and grind straight into the bag. When my strike water is heated I sit the bucket next to the kettle, lift the bag, and slowly lower into the water, shifting back and forth and up and down to try and mix it some (easier than it sounds).

Then I stir well to avoid dough balls.

I'm bag in water, then grain in pot, because that's what YouTube taught me. I assumed the other way would make doughballs, but sounds like it doesn't. My LHBS mills my grain for me.

Either way works. As long as you stir sufficiently and the temperature after stirring is where you want it. Stirring dissipates heat a little.

I have done it both ways with good results..I am not picky at this time to do the calculations to get my efficiency percentage, all I care about is if the beer turns out good at the end..And lately they have been...Very good as a matter of fact. :)

I've always added the grain to the bag lined kettle slowly while stirring. Saw someone mill straight into the bag in a bucket and thought that looked like a great idea. Spent a LOT more time chasing and breaking up dough balls. Might be better with a big a$s whisk?

I've always put the bag in first, then added grains. Now I see that some of the LODO folks lower the full bag slowly into strike water in an attempt to minimize the oxygen added at this point in the process. It simulates "underletting" some brewers use. I might give it a try.

I've always put the bag in first, then added grains. Now I see that some of the LODO folks lower the full bag slowly into strike water in an attempt to minimize the oxygen added at this point in the process. It simulates "underletting" some brewers use. I might give it a try.

I did my last batch lowering a full bag in and have to say it worked quite well. I actually prefer it now vs adding grains to the water and stirring.

Latest posts

Back