Add coffee???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allekornbrauer

Reaction score
Hello I have a question about adding Coffee Beans to beer after it fermented an still in primary (I don’t do Secondary). How many ounces of coffee beans per gal of beer should I use. An should I lightly crush the whole coffee beans an bag them an weight them down or just put the whole coffee beans into the fermenter non bag... An also long how should the coffee beans be in contact with the beer for?

I put 2 oz of course ground coffee in a stainless tea/herb ball (Sanitized of course) And dropped it into my keg of 5% Dry irish stout while it was gassing up. I took it out when the keg ran dry. I was happy. FWIW

never dry coffee'd a beer, but if i did i would have ground them, and put in a bag...and just let it float....

Hello!
I've been roasting coffee and brewing beer for a while. I love when I can overlap the two and make coffee ever. I've also dry hopped coffee. Never dry hop coffee.

Anyway,
The freshness and quality of the coffee will almost completely determine how much you need to add to the beer. Anything store bought I would do a ratio of around 0.5oz/gal. However if you have fresh roasted beans it will be much less. I used 0.8oz for a 5 gal batch of oatmeal stout last month and it was arguably to coffee forward.

For the process of adding coffee there are many options. My preference is to take the coffee and grind it as coarsely as possible. Add it to a sanitized mesh bag or hell I use hosiery socks and put it into your keg. After 18-24 hours remove the bag of coffee. DO NOT forget to remove the coffee or you will end up with a bitter nasty cold coffee you made yesterday morning flavor.

Please ask any more questions you may have. I have added coffee to dozens of beers and it's my niche of brewing.

So many ways I use 2-4oz of good quality coffee beans. I drop them whole in primary for 5-10 days. Delicious flavor and zero bitterness at all.

I typically make a cold brew. Grind good quality beans into the infuser of the cold brew coffee maker. Instead of water, infuse the actual beer from a keg. Let it sit over night, then pour back into the keg.

1 to 2 ozs of fresh beans in 5 gallons. No need to grind them, just toss in the whole beans, coffee readily gives up it's flavor. We only grind them because we want coffee in 10 minutes. No need to sanitize fresh roasted ..... they have been roasted, and they have no nutrients for anything to grow on them.

I have used a strong 8 oz cold brew espresso and added it to my stouts with excellent outcomes. I have not tried steeping beans or gounds in secondaries or even when kegging but I will have to try the keg steep now.

I use 4 oz of course grind for 24 hours. Gives a really fresh coffee flavor. I've done it in a blonde and stout and both had a very noticeable cold brew flavor

Was this during your cold crash?
QUOTE="mrdauber64, post: 8814272, member: 70256"]
I use 4 oz of course grind for 24 hours. Gives a really fresh coffee flavor. I've done it in a blonde and stout and both had a very noticeable cold brew flavor
[/QUOTE]

Back