Add brown sugar to secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjzelectric

Reaction score
Just racked my Barleywine to secondary to "bulk age." According to Beersmith my IBUs are in the 140 range whereas my OG was 1.096 and my FG is 1.018 (~%10abv). I intended to overhop this brew considering I want to age it for at least 8 months before bottling, prob a year before consuming. However, Im afraid I went overboard. I was thinking of adding maybe a # or 2 of brown sugar or maple syrup to the secondary but of course I want a second opinion (and third and fourth). Whaddya think? TYIA:mug:

I think your FG is right where you want it. A barleywine should have sweetness and fullness. I'm drinking a Bigfoot 2009 right now and the fullness and sweetness comes through beautifully. I only wish it was aged longer. The IBUs will drop out if you age it. If you add simple sugars, you will thin it out in a way you don't want. Bottle it up as is and put it in a forgotten corner until you stumble across it a year from now. It'll be fantastic!

Human perception maxes out at like 80 IBUs, and it's exceedingly difficult to get more than 100 IBUs into solution. Your beer is fine.

Wait 8 months and see how it tastes. 140 IBUs isn't possible without using hop extract, regardless of what the software says.

Adding brown sugar will just give you a lower FG, which is just what you don't want. 1.018 is near perfect for a BW as far as I'm concerned. Let it age & you'll be fine.

Back