Add body without altering taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maltodextrine powder boiled with a tad of water. 4 oz will add noticeable body in my experience. I've done this twice.

It can give some people beer farts, so beware of that :)

If you are brewing all grain, your mash temperature can alter the body of the beer. Mash temps on the higher side yield more body.

I would say that technically there is no way to add body without altering tastes, because more body means more residual sugar and more sweetness.

The best ways to add body without malt character would be higher mash temps or dextrin malt(carpils, carafoam, ect) Maltodextrin also works but is much easier to overdo

Xpertskir said:
I would say that technically there is no way to add body without altering tastes, because more body means more residual sugar and more sweetness to balance out. The best ways to add body without malt character would be higher mash temps or dextrin malt(carpils, carafoam, ect) Maltodextrin also works but is much easier to overdo

^^ this and also a bit if wheat will add some body and you won't taste it if it's a small amount

Some yeasts, like Denny's 1450, seem to create a rich mouthfeel. I can't explain why or how, though.

JonM said:
Some yeasts, like Denny's 1450, seem to create a rich mouthfeel. I can't explain why or how, though.

Please explain what could've happened to my beer? It looks like a dirty brown water filled glass but smells and tastes like ipa?

te-wa said:
would flaked oats do the trick?
I did use flaked oats. I also dry hopped on day 5 with no bag and let it ferment another 2 weeks. It just doesn't look appealing

I did use flaked oats. I also dry hopped on day 5 with no bag and let it ferment another 2 weeks. It just doesn't look appealing

You may want to start a new post with your problem if you haven't already. We need a bit more information. Recipe, extract or AG, temperatures and the like.

I am a little confused on the OP's problem. Has this beer already been brewed? If yes, then I think maltodextrin is one of the only things that will address the issue.

If its a question of adding body to future brews, that's not the way to go. Agree with higher mash temps, adjuncts, or lower attenuating yeasts.

Louis, I would start a new thread so we don't confuse suggestions linking to the correct problem.

Maltodextrin powder is more or less flavorless isn't it? I used some yesterday in a brew, had a taste of it and it was like powdered air

solbes said:
I am a little confused on the OP's problem. Has this beer already been brewed? If yes, then I think maltodextrin is one of the only things that will address the issue. If its a question of adding body to future brews, that's not the way to go. Agree with higher mash temps, adjuncts, or lower attenuating yeasts. Louis, I would start a new thread so we don't confuse suggestions linking to the correct problem.

Future beers. This isn't an attempt to fix a botched batch, just trying to learn more.

Back