Add a Grainfather Recipe from elsewhere - am I doing it right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm getting ready to start the first brew..
I have a recipe given to me by a hops supplier, which I have entered into the Grainfather (its translated from Spanish, but I think it does make sense..)

I was wondering if someone could please have a check on the recipe I created in the Grainfather, and if it is correct the way I have entered with regards to the amounts/times, I wasn't 100% sure when the recipe mentions 'putting the fire out' and 'before the end of cooking' - kind of the same thing?

This is the original recipe I was given:

English India Pale Ale 20 litros

Características
Ingredientes
Color: 24-25 EBC
Bitterness: 50-55 IBU
Original Density: 1067
Final Density: 1013
Alcohol: 7.3%
5.8 Kg Maris Otter malt
250g Amber malt
250 g Dark Crystal malt
110 g Bramling Cross hop
50 g First Gold or Golding hop
1 on yeast fermentis US-05
5 g of irish moss or ¼ Tablet compag C

Process summary:

1.- Macerated and washed:

• 20.5 liters (2.7 liters / kg malt filling + 3.5 liters)
• 11.3 liters at 78ºC. There should be about 25.5 liters at the start of cooking.

Simple maceration at 65ºC for 75 minutes and a final maceration at 78ºC for 10 minutes.

2.- Cooking:

Cooking time from the start of the must boiling: 60 min.
Add 60 gr Bramling Cross hops at the beginning of the boil
Add 50 gr Bramling Cross hops when putting out the fire (leave 5 minutes)
Add 50 gr First Gold / Golding hops when putting out the fire (leave 5 minutes)
Add 5 gr of irish moss / protafloc 15 minutes before the end of cooking

3.- Fermentation: Cool the cooking must below 25 degrees. Optimal fermentation temperature 15º - 24º. In any case, check what is indicated on the yeast envelope, as there may be slight variations depending on the yeast manufacturer.

4.- Carbonation: Recommended amount of dextrose for the second fermentation in the bottle: 6-7 gr / liter. In Barrel: 3 gr / liter

And this is what I have entered into Grainfather:

1588167492133.png

1588167516617.png

1588167535051.png

Yeah looks good to me. Fire out = flame out and before end of cooking means during the boil . So Irish moss is boiled for 15 min .

Latest posts

Back