Adapting Mini Heineken Kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just looking at these on Craigslist and debating trying to use one. My LHBS sells the 5l kegs. Do you go thru a lot of those little cartridges? After using it for a while how do you like it? Do you prime with sugar and only carb to serve or can you force carb?
Dave I think you are my brewing hero.

I was just looking at these on Craigslist and debating trying to use one. My LHBS sells the 5l kegs. Do you go thru a lot of those little cartridges? After using it for a while how do you like it? Do you prime with sugar and only carb to serve or can you force carb?
Dave I think you are my brewing hero.

I don't use it anymore. I would have to keep on buying more minikegs because after the first couple of batches, the later beers began to taste like iron as something inside began to rust. My point though is that it does work, and if you took measures to epoxy coat the drilled opening or whatnot to prevent rust then it might work for longer.

Each keg uses up roughly one CO2 cartridge if I recall correctly. If the cartridge sits for too long (a month or two) also it seems to leak CO2 slowly so then you might need to pop a second one to get out the rest of your beer.

You MUST prime with sugar. Exactly 1 tablespoon per 5 L keg worked great. Prime, then wait a 10-14 days (just like bottling), then the first two or three pints will come out without adding any CO2. After that, you need to squirt a little CO2 in but the beer is carbonated. DO NOT FORCE CARB -- this system is not designed for that!! It's designed to be primed and then the CO2 only pushes out the carbonated beer. If you try to force carb it will likely explode on you -- DANGER!!

Latest posts

Back