Ad more yeast??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitslinger

Reaction score
I just brewed NB's Bourbon Barrel Porter all-grain kit (first time for this kit) and noticed it only krausened for a day (2nd day) and not very much at 68 degrees. I rehydrated the dry yeast but did not do a starter with it, this has worked well for previous batches. I did pour the yeast into the (sterilized) carboy first, right before the wort, I usually pour it in when there's a little wort in the carboy. The carboy is tightly sealed. My efficiency before boil was low but it usually is due to the crappy water here (18%, usually mid-20's.) I did add 12mg of CaCl which made the ph a little low for such a dark beer, 5.8. probably should have left that alone. My original gravity was a little low, 1.060 of a targeted 1.065.

All that provided, given the lack of krausening I'm concerned it's not going to ferment sufficiently. Should I add more yeast or is it just the nature of the Porter? Is more malt the answer??

Thanks!

Unless you check the gravity, you won't know where things stand in terms of fermentation. I bet everything is fine, but if you really want to know, wait another day or two and see what the gravity is.

Unless you check the gravity, you won't know where things stand in terms of fermentation. I bet everything is fine, but if you really want to know, wait another day or two and see what the gravity is.

This^^^^^^^^^.

If you pitched a rehydrated packet of dry yeast included in a recently-purchased NB kit, I'm thinking that you had plenty of cells for a 1.060 brew. It's best to not make a starter with dry yeast.

I'd give this a week from the day you pitched and then check the gravity. I wouldn't be surprised if it's at expected FG or close to it.

Thanks BigFloyd and JLem, I'll check it in a couple weeks when I put it into secondary fermentation.

Just a suggestion for next batch - if you can get your ale wort cooled down to below 65*F before pitching, that will help give you a more enjoyable result.:mug:

Back