actual process of using Gelatin to clear

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr1nkBeer

Reaction score
I know there were many "heated" discussions regarding Clearing and cold crashing... but no Real "non-scientific" actual answers that atleast i dont understand "yet"... here is what i plan to do and looking to see if you simply agree or disagree... I'm not looking for the science here though i found other threads very educational on the particles and solids and obsorbtion.... Just a basic Recipe...

I have two galons of hard cider that i'm looking to clear this week. Its finished fermenting.

I have the powder form of Gelatin purchased at the LHBS. I am going to use 1/4 tsp in -1/4 cup of water to disolve.. then heat it up in my flask to the point where it dissolves without boiling it. I'll let it cool and add it to the secondary. I'm expecting for clearing in two days or so... then i will keg and carb at 32 degrees...

I put about a half cup of water in my 1 qt pan, sprinkle in about 1/3rd pack and stir it until it boils. Then dump it into cold beer and that's normally when I rack the cold crashed beer into a keg. Boiling does no harm.

I put about a half cup of water in my 1 qt pan, sprinkle in about 1/3rd pack and stir it until it boils. Then dump it into cold beer and that's normally when I rack the cold crashed beer into a keg. Boiling does no harm.

Thats for 5 gallons? I'm looking to clear only 2... so thats why i'm thinking 1/4 cup.

so you cold crash.. then gelatin? how long before you keg?

should be the basic principal... its already a pretty good color but i'm looking for a wine like clarity.. prob. wont get it.. but will try this for sure..

so I'll COLD CRASH for a night/24 hrs

PUt the gelatin (boiled and cooled) in the secondary

Rack my cider and mix well and wait two days.

Thanks! i'll post results.

I get the siphon going, go cook up the gelatin and then add it to the top. It get's mixed in well by the gas getting hooked to the out port and shook a few minutes. That way it carbed and clear in just a few days.

I get the siphon going, go cook up the gelatin and then add it to the top. It get's mixed in well by the gas getting hooked to the out port and shook a few minutes. That way it carbed and clear in just a few days.

so your saying bring the temp down... then go right to the keg? and add geletin to the keg?

My beer always looks clear when warm, but I sometimes get chill haze. I just started using gelatin to clear my beers and the results have been outstanding. My beers are now crystal clear.

It doesn't take much gelatine to clear chill haze proteins. I cold crash my beer in the keg for a couple of days. Then I rehydrate 1.5 grams of gelatin in 1/2 cup of cool water for 10 or 20 minutes, then stir and nuke it in the microwave 45 seconds or so until it clears, being cafeful not to let it boil. Then I pour it in my keg.

This works even if the keg has already been carbed up. Just don't make the mistake of stirring in the gelatin solution if the keg is already carbed up, as you'll have an overflowing foamy mess in your kegerator if you do.

I thought you are supposed to heat the gelatin but not boil it. Is that not correct?

I thought you are supposed to heat the gelatin but not boil it. Is that not correct?

you probably watched the same Youtube video i did... they said it would make Jello if you boiled it.

I think all thats necessary really is to disolve the gelatin so its clear.

So i added to the secondary... of my hardcider and left it for about 2 weeks... i can see straight through the carboy now... and the color is perfect. I think i'm going to taste some soon and maybe bottle it. Thanks for the help.

On a side note, is there a length of time you would leave the gelatin in the carboy?.. lets say i wanted age this cider 12 months in that carboy... would it matter much that i added gelatin?

I realize i wouldnt need the gelatin if i planned on aging it would clear on its own in that amount of time, but I already added it to clear it when i got anxious to have some at christmas time. :-(

I wouldn't let it sit on gelatin for that long..... Gelatin is made of collagen and it decomposes for sure.

Thanks.. i bottled it shortly after your reply... turned out okay, i almost liked it sweet as it was around christmas time.
thanks for the help.

Back