Ack! Hops Growing in the Fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisS68

Reaction score
Last time I took a look, I wasn't sure, but now I'm certain. When my Crystal rhizome arrived, it had a pretty healthy shoot starting. It's now grown to a few inches! I wonder if it's not cold enough in the butter box of the fridge. I really need to get these things planted!

Chris

Mine are really growing too, getting some composted manure tomorrow and planting them! Some have 3" roots!

If you think its to cold outside to plant, you can plant them indoors. I planted mine in some pots instead of storing them in the fridge, one is at least two foot tall (I'm letting it climb the draw string of my blinds) and I'll be planting them this week. The way I see it, why not let them get a head start indoors.

I have mine in pots. They are almost 2 feet long now. They survived the sub-freezing temps for two nights now, so I think they will be ok to plant. They are more hardy against cold than I first thought.

I got some pretty twiggy rhizomes - they arrived last Thursday. They started with no root structure to speak of and I wouldn't know how it is now unless I tear them out of the pot, which I won't, heh. My Sterling is still working on budding, my Magnum is doing really excellent, my Mt. Hood is doing some pretty good stuff and the Cascade is in about third place. I'm giving them all enough water and nutrients, as well as the occasional pep talk. :fro:

EinGutesBier said:
I got some pretty twiggy rhizomes - they arrived last Thursday. They started with no root structure to speak of and I wouldn't know how it is now unless I tear them out of the pot, which I won't, heh. My Sterling is still working on budding, my Magnum is doing really excellent, my Mt. Hood is doing some pretty good stuff and the Cascade is in about third place. I'm giving them all enough water and nutrients, as well as the occasional pep talk. :fro:

I leave a portable cd player out next to mine. Playing things like AC/DC, Mettalicca, MegaDeath, Pantera, etc.... Aggressive music does have an effect on plant growth, Mythbusters confirmed it...so it MUST be true:drunk:

Got all (6) of my already sprouted rhizomes in the ground today... a few bags of composted manure and mulch later, they are in. Hope to see some growth soon!

I bought additional 4 rhizomes this year. One of them had a totally white shoot on it about an inch long. Planted it on Saturday, by Mon afternoon, the shoot has broken the surface and has turned green. The other three show no signs yet.

My other crowns are a couple of years old, and they sprouted about two weeks ago.

Back