Acid in Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Taking a flyer here on malt. When did you crush (or was it pre-crushed) and how was it stored? Years ago I crushed malt for two witbiers, one to be brewed immediately and the second a week or so later. Neither contained acidulated malt. Malt for witbier #2 was stored in a plastic bag in a refrigerator to preserve 'freshness.' The first brew was normal but the second was acidic to the point of being undrinkable. The whole bag apparently had turned to sauermalt from natural lacto and humidity. No mash calculator would have caught that. I haven't put malt in the fridge since.

I crush my grains the night before I brew. I store them in my basement which is low 60's in the winter and low 70's in the summer. I don't repackage them either, just leave them in the bag until I mill them into a bucket. The bucket of milled grain goes back into the basement when it's done to maintain the temp. I use grain temp to calculate strike water temp, so I don't want to mess it up.

Latest posts

Back