Acetaldehyde ruined my wheat ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cdbrew

Reaction score
I was making a Raspberry Wheat Ale from a partial grain kit.

Well, I sanitized everything fairly well with some LD carlson oxygen sanitizer stuff. I fermented my wheat ale in a clear carboy - I just wanted to monitor it this time since the first time I used a bucket. It was in the shade but I guess thats still a bad idea.

Anyway, after fermentation was complete I siphoned it to a bucket..covered it..and let it sit. I got sidetracked and probably let it set in the bucket. In total 3 months from the boil.

At bottling today it had a white film with curdling white things on top of the film. It had an incredibly tart/cidery taste which I believe is the Acetaldehyde.

Anyone have experience with Acetaldehyde? I assume it was just a sanitation issue...or maybe trash getting into it during siphoning into second bucket. I really don't mind it too much, I got to experience what this chemical smells like etc.

Soon I will be making a pumpkin ale and it will require siphoning into secondary fermentation, I'm going to order some Starsan and be very careful I guess.

Anyone have experience with type of problem? Also, what would 3 months in a secondary fermentation bucket do? I assume there's no real problem as long as its in the dark. I want to be careful not to ruin my upcoming fall pumpkin ale though, I guess its time to go ahead and brew it up as it will have a month and a half to condition.

Thanks

I could be wrong but I think the oxygen stuff from LD Carlson is just a cleanser like oxyclean and not a sanitizer. I believe their sanitizer is Idophor... that could be your problem right there....

Latest posts

Back