Accurately Splitting Extract Into Two Fermenters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VikingBrewer

Reaction score
I was considering on brewing this Cooper’s Russian Imperial Stout. But adding chocolate and espresso flavors.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Ingredients
1.7kg Coopers Stout
1.7kg Coopers Dark Ale
1.7kg Coopers Lager
1kg Coopers Dextrose (or table sugar)
Coopers Carbonation Drops

A Few Important Points:

- Fermentation activity is “volcanic” so be prepared. Ferment in the DIY Beer Kit vessel or a 40 to 60 litre vessel.

- If not using the DIY Beer kit vessel, a second vessel should be on hand for racking the brew on day 3 of the ferment, this can be a normal 30 litre fermenting vessel.

So my concern is I have the older style Cooper’s fermenters before the new DIY kit with the krausen ring.

FCF522C3-1CDB-468A-802E-B8B2F64189D4.jpeg

I have two fermenters and was considering since this is such a volcanic brew, I would split it into two equal parts in both fermenters because I don’t have or can get a 40L-60L Fermenter. My local brew shop can’t even get ones that size.

What would be the best way to “accurately” split this recipe in two?

Should I add the three kits, water and fermentables (flavoring) and some how measure then split into two then add cooled water to each? Or should I just make it as one batch and rack off an equal amount until both fermenters are level to each other then pitch the yeast?

What would be the best way to split the yeast when rehydrating it?

And lastly when adding my chocolate and coffee I was going to use melted Cabo chocolate and some espresso that looks like it’s in tea bags I still have from an espresso/cappuccino machine I don’t use anymore. Or should I just buy some espresso beans and slightly crush them then add them to the hot water before adding the three cans of extract? When should I add these?

Sorry if this post seems discombobulated. It’s late at night and I’m just trying to get my ideas down

Really interesting this, suppressed it has no comments.
How did the brew go, what did you decide on eventually?

Really interesting this, suppressed it has no comments.
How did the brew go, what did you decide on eventually?

Ya surprised there has been no comments yet until yours. I have not yet started this brew yet. I have been considering purchasing a 60L Speidel fermenter.

I was considering on brewing this Cooper’s Russian Imperial Stout. But adding chocolate and espresso flavors.

Ingredients
1.7kg Coopers Stout
1.7kg Coopers Dark Ale
1.7kg Coopers Lager
1kg Coopers Dextrose (or table sugar)
Coopers Carbonation Drops

A Few Important Points:

- Fermentation activity is “volcanic” so be prepared. Ferment in the DIY Beer Kit vessel or a 40 to 60 litre vessel.

- If not using the DIY Beer kit vessel, a second vessel should be on hand for racking the brew on day 3 of the ferment, this can be a normal 30 litre fermenting vessel.

What would be the best way to “accurately” split this recipe in two?

Should I add the three kits, water and fermentables (flavoring) and some how measure then split into two then add cooled water to each? Or should I just make it as one batch and rack off an equal amount until both fermenters are level to each other then pitch the yeast?

Either one should work. Personaly I would probably make it as one batch and rack it into two separate fermenters. Just make sure you know how much your starting off with, and whats left post boil. You can mark your kettle or using a measuring stick of some kind.

Usually by weight. If you don't have a scale that measures that low...then use smaller measuring spoons to measure how much you have and divide in half.

And lastly when adding my chocolate and coffee I was going to use melted Cabo chocolate and some espresso that looks like it’s in tea bags I still have from an espresso/cappuccino machine I don’t use anymore. Or should I just buy some espresso beans and slightly crush them then add them to the hot water before adding the three cans of extract? When should I add these?

I would suggest you defer to a more experienced brewer here. There are several ways to skin this cat. Coffee beans give up their flavor pretty easily however I might recommend using a tincture or Vodka or bourbon and letting coarsely crushed beans sit for a few weeks. If you have those little nescafe pods then they are likely crushed fairly fine and would give up flavor much quicker as in a few days. Just be careful with chocolate and heavily processed coffee beans. The oils can have a detrimental effect on ability for the beer to form a good head.

Sorry if this post seems discombobulated. It’s late at night and I’m just trying to get my ideas down
BEER!

Edit: Forgot to add that I have a 60l Speidel and love it. If your thinking of upgrading and stainless is out but budget...it's a great fermenter. If your located in the states, @Jaybird makes some killer add-on's for them.

Last edited:
Ya surprised there has been no comments yet until yours.
A Coopers extract kit customization is a relatively unique situation.

Can you split the yeast before rehydrating?

Accurately Splitting Extract Into Two Fermenters
Are you trying to split hot concentrated wort from three kits into two fermenters (where the fermenters are partially filled with 'cool down' water)?

Last edited:
How big is your fermenter? That recipe is no more "volcanic" than any other recipe, and definitely less than a wheat beer! If you keep it at a decent temperature (19C or so), you'll get the best results and no volcano type of blow off.

Generally sounds easiest to split the recipe after it's all said and done.

For fermentation craziness there are large OD tubes that replace stoppers altogether, or you can buy stoppers that have larger holes in them for say 3/8 CO2 line size tubing. Just use a few feet of it and have it end in a nearby pot of water. I've used Fermcap a few times as well, it definitely makes a difference and as far as I can tell has no adverse effects.

Unless of course you kinda really want another fermenter in which case it's a good excuse to go for it, hah.

Sounds like you're using dry yeast. Do you have a gram scale to measure 2 equal portions? If not perhaps a super small measuring spoon? You might be OK doing something like adding a little table sugar to it so you have more bulk to measure out - just be sure it's evenly mixed. A tiny amount of sugar shouldn't make a difference to the beer itself. I'd also just say get a 2nd pack of yeast, one for each.

I always do my additions during 2ndary fermentation. Seems to make them last longer. I have assumed it's because the yeast activity didn't carry away what I wanted. That said I've not looked into it or done any real trials either way, so I could be wrong.

Edit: Forgot to add that I have a 60l Speidel and love it. If your thinking of upgrading and stainless is out but budget...it's a great fermenter. If your located in the states, @Jaybird makes some killer add-on's for them.

Thanks ya Amazon.ca is charging an insane price for the 60L at this time but it is still on my watch list. I might have to split the batch which I really don’t want to do. I’ll keep in mind the add-on’s.

A Coopers extract kit customization is a relatively unique situation.

Can you split the yeast before rehydrating?

Are you trying to split hot concentrated wort from three kits into two fermenters (where the fermenters are partially filled with 'cool down' water)?

Yes I could possibly split the yeast unless I go with something like Wyeast.

Yes the three 1.7kg cans would be combined into one pot. I would have to try and pour out and measure two equal amounts if I were to use two fermenters.

it just seems like too many variables that could cause the two batches to come out with two slightly different flavors. Unless I were to combine the two, including the trub, right after the volcanic fermentation was finished, but that introduces a bunch of other risks.

How big is your fermenter? That recipe is no more "volcanic" than any other recipe, and definitely less than a wheat beer! If you keep it at a decent temperature (19C or so), you'll get the best results and no volcano type of blow off.

I have two of the old school Cooper’s 30L fermenters.
4BAE40B5-20F8-4F4F-A0E0-A2582E2DFFC7.jpeg

I am just going by what the recipe made a note of.....
CD1EB8EC-842C-44D1-84DB-9D8FEB7897AC.png

Generally sounds easiest to split the recipe after it's all said and done.

For fermentation craziness there are large OD tubes that replace stoppers altogether, or you can buy stoppers that have larger holes in them for say 3/8 CO2 line size tubing. Just use a few feet of it and have it end in a nearby pot of water. I've used Fermcap a few times as well, it definitely makes a difference and as far as I can tell has no adverse effects.

Unless of course you kinda really want another fermenter in which case it's a good excuse to go for it, hah.

Sounds like you're using dry yeast. Do you have a gram scale to measure 2 equal portions? If not perhaps a super small measuring spoon? You might be OK doing something like adding a little table sugar to it so you have more bulk to measure out - just be sure it's evenly mixed. A tiny amount of sugar shouldn't make a difference to the beer itself. I'd also just say get a 2nd pack of yeast, one for each.

I always do my additions during 2ndary fermentation. Seems to make them last longer. I have assumed it's because the yeast activity didn't carry away what I wanted. That said I've not looked into it or done any real trials either way, so I could be wrong.

Those are some great points. I like the idea of a larger blow-off tube into a pot of water, but I don’t want to modify the original bubbler opening. I guess I could always make a second hole for the larger diameter tubing and just block it when I want to use the original bubbler.

There is that something about getting a shiny new toy! LOL 😜

I haven’t nailed down what yeast I was going to use. I wasn’t planning on using the yeast that come with the three kits. I have Nottingham Ale yeast (dry) 11g packets. But was also considering on going with one of the Wyeasts.

There is that option of adding the flavors in secondary still playing that in my head.

Back