Accidentally Over Watered Wine. Anyway to fix?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thegreateater

Reaction score
So I had 3.5 gallons of Malted Melomel that I added 1/5th a gallon spread out among 4 1 gallon jugs.

Since the original finished product was super powerful. I tasted it a week later, and it has a hint of flavor, but the water gives it a watery taste to it that kind of ruins the flavor and alcholic sharpness to it.

I added Potassium Metabisulphite and Potassium Sorbate about a month and two weeks ago to the product before letting it age for a month and a week before moving them (and adding the water). Will that prevent me refermenting the product at all? Or is there a way to save the product?

So I had 3.5 gallons of Malted Melomel that I added 1/5th a gallon spread out among 4 1 gallon jugs.

Since the original finished product was super powerful. I tasted it a week later, and it has a hint of flavor, but the water gives it a watery taste to it that kind of ruins the flavor and alcholic sharpness to it.

I added Potassium Metabisulphite and Potassium Sorbate about a month and two weeks ago to the product before letting it age for a month and a week before moving them (and adding the water). Will that prevent me refermenting the product at all? Or is there a way to save the product?

You can't add more fermentables (the sorbate will stop that), but you could blend it with another wine if you'd like.

I was afraid of that.

How much added wine (To a gallon jug), would be enough to counter the dilution of the water?

It sounds like a non-answer, but it's whatever it takes so it doesn't taste watered down anymore, plus when it tastes good.

That's the only real gauge- taste.

Ah. Cool then. Thanks for the tips and advice. It'll probably be a few weeks before I find out how it went (waiting for my next pay check. Then 3 days of fermenting).

You could try covering it up with spices, or extra sweenter.

For example, if it's a apple wine, I would add extra nutmeg, clove and cinnamon. Maybe add a bit more Honey for a sweeter flavor.
You could even add some vodka (100 proof) or Everclear (careful!) to up your ABV.

Try a few things before dumping. Otherwise, maybe water down a bit more, and call it a cider? You'll still have the watery flavor though...

It was a mango-pomegranate with Malted Barely, Mashed Potatoes (With starch enzyme), and honey. The flavor and mouth feel was unique and balanced (in context) but was too powerful. Adding the water trashed the balance and removed the alcohol strength.

Good news is. Did what was suggested by adding more wine too it. Of course didn't add Mashed Potatoes this time. Just added pure potato starch, doesn't give it quite the same feel. But here's a pic of what it looked like fermenting.

20160930_085622_zpsqminrbp4.jpg

Let it ferment for 3 days, and added it back into the over watered stuff. It actually restored not the mouth feel, but some of the flavor, as well as gave it quite the unique taste. In a good way. Here's some left over in my testing cup.

20161002_223236_zpsuqhr4hjl.jpg

As you can see that even after fermenting for 3 days, it kept it's orangeish coloration (with brown undertones). Now I'm going to be letting it age in brown glass jugs under a blanket in my fridge for a few months. But on Dec. 10th, my brother in law who actually knows how to critique wine will let me know how it goes. And I'll post here to let everyone know how it turned out.

In my own opinion, it's semi-clear, aromatic, and has a sharp taste with fruity undertones. Although it's a better sipping wine than chugging it (too big sips gives it a rather powerful sourness that sipping lacks (sourness only lasts a few seconds after downing it). And the quality was found in all 4 jugs. So that's good right?

I added a bit too much water in one of my 6g batches recently and I added about 2 cups of vodka to it to get the alcohol back up

Back