Accidentally added extra 3.3# can of LME....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillJacks

Reaction score
Brewed the Lawson's Double Sunshine recipe (extract version) on Saturday (2 days ago). The recipe called for steeping grains plus 6# light LME. Having not used extracts in the last couple of years, I incorrectly thought that the cans were 2# each, so I bought and added 3 cans without doing any kind of quality control double-checking whatsoever. Since it was a partial mash, I didn't bother to take an OG reading (lots of bad decisions here) and didn't realize my error until I was putting it into BeerSmith today.
Fermentation has already started nicely and was perking away within 15 hours of pitching. However, now I'm looking at a much higher alcohol content than I'd anticipated and don't know how the yeast will respond . . . I'd love to have some feedback about what I could do to avoid killing the yeast or having a very sweet IPA.

(One more thing - does .75 oz of Columbus for bittering seem low for this, and if I for example, add water in an attempt to dilute, how will that impact the bitterness?)

Recipe:

2# Vienna
1# flaked oats
6 oz Caramunich
---Steeped all of above in 2 gal water for 45 min at 152F, then rinsed with a half gallon at 168F, and added water up to about 5.5 gal pre-boil.

6# Light LME (this is where I used 9.9#)
---60 min boil

1.5# Corn Sugar in last 15 min.

Hops:
.75oz Columbus x 60 min
1 oz Citra x 20 min
3 oz Citra x 5 min
3 oz Citra @ FO
3 oz Citra, DH x 7-10 days

WLP001 California Ale yeast, 1 pkg. at 70F.

Brewing process went by the book, temps were ok, cooling went well, additions all on time, etc., and thankfully I've never actually tried Double Sunshine, so won't know what I'm missing if I just end up with a good IPA.

It's not a very bitter IPA anyways(it's NE) so .75 Columbus doesn't seem far off, it may be with your extra extract though. What is the predicted OG when you include an extra 3.3#?

It's not a very bitter IPA anyways(it's NE) so .75 Columbus doesn't seem far off, it may be with your extra extract though. What is the predicted OG when you include an extra 3.3#?

Sorry, forgot to add that the recipe included 1.5# Corn Sugar in the last 15 min of the boil. Editing my OP to reflect that. According to BeerSmith that makes the OG 1.105

Well if WLP001 can get it down to its normal attenuation(it may be able to with those simple sugars, and I know it has fairly good alcohol tolerance) you would be looking at around 11% and 1.020 for your final. If you treat the yeast well, get it lots of O2(you may even want to give it a good whisk a couple days in(more experienced people chime in if I'm wrong, but we do this with wine all the time) to give it O2 as it will need all the help it can get. You probably want to slowly raise that temperature up to 73 a few days in too. If and when it reaches terminal gravity, if you find that it tastes too sweet, you can always make a small amount of extremely bitter wort to blend in. You can do this by making a few cups of very low gravity wort(especially in your scenario), like 1.015 or so, a small amount of sugar aids in utilization. You then boil some bittering hops for 60 minutes, then add that back into your finished beer. Obviously you would want to give it another day or two to ferment out that tiny bit of added sugars though.

If you are really having a problem getting it dry(ish), you could pitch some WY3711, it shouldn't add much flavor in a beer that already contains a ton of yeast(no growth phase), and it's one hell of an attenuator.

Sorry, forgot to add that the recipe included 1.5# Corn Sugar in the last 15 min of the boil. Editing my OP to reflect that. According to BeerSmith that makes the OG 1.105

Well...

You made a high-gravity beer which will result in an ABV of 10% or so.

Bitterness should be OK - you have 7 ounces of hops not counting the DH.

Yeast may be stressed a bit if you didn't make a starter. WLP001 tolerates high alcohol so it should finish the job.

Ferment, package and report back on how it tastes. Sounds like the perfect lawnmower session ale! :rockin:

Ha, quite a session... Thanks to both of you for the help. I'll let it ride and let you know how it turns out.

:mug:

Latest posts

Back