Accidental All Grain Brewer....1st time Beer Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wuyi_wulf

Reaction score
So was at the local brew store to pick up my supplies for my first brew day and when they gave me my "grain bag" it turned out to be a hopsock ...I was already home when I noticed this and decided " eh all grain doesn't look THAT hard , let's do this "

1 lb Munich 15L
1 lb Vienna 5L
1 lb Pilsner 1.5
60 Min Mash
60 Min Boil
.5 oz Columbus @ 20 Min
.5 oz Simcoe and .5 oz Nugget @ 5 mins.
Dry hop will be .5 oz EACH Columbus, Simcoe and Nugget

Nottingham Dry Yeast

What size batch is this? I'm thinking 1 gallon DIPA or 2 gallon session IPA? Gonna be pretty malty with 1/3 dark munich and 1/3 vienna.

What size batch is this? I'm thinking 1 gallon DIPA or 2 gallon session IPA? Gonna be pretty malty with 1/3 dark munich and 1/3 vienna.
It's a take on Troegg's Nugget Nectar which is a Amber DIPA , mine didn't hit the conversion I was going for and my abv will be around 7%, 1 gallon batch

Last edited:
Okay, makes sense now. Couple a things to likely target next time to improve conversion, make sure you get a really good crush. You may need to ask the LHBS to double crush. Also sounds like you may have had a pretty small bag. Try to get a bag big enough to line the pot so the grains can be easily stirred and there are no dry spots or clumps.

Okay, makes sense now. Couple a things to likely target next time to improve conversion, make sure you get a really good crush. You may need to ask the LHBS to double crush. Also sounds like you may have had a pretty small bag. Try to get a bag big enough to line the pot so the grains can be easily stirred and there are no dry spots or clumps.
Oh this was all grain , no bag . Also My mash water got too hot for a small bit, I would bet that is what hurt my conversion

BIAB is all grain using the bag instead of a mash tun. What did you mash in? What was the actual mash temp and time?

BIAB is all grain using the bag instead of a mash tun. What did you mash in? What was the actual mash temp and time?
I mashed in a kettle for 60 mins, was supposed to be at 150 but my water got to 170 for a little bit cause i was using the kettle on the stove over heat and it didn't allow me precise control

I mashed in a kettle for 60 mins, was supposed to be at 150 but my water got to 170 for a little bit cause i was using the kettle on the stove over heat and it didn't allow me precise control

170 degrees denatures the enzymes needed for conversion so your mash period ended when you heated too much. How long was the mash prior to getting too hot?

170 degrees denatures the enzymes needed for conversion so your mash period ended when you heated too much. How long was the mash prior to getting too hot?
i think it only got too hot in the last 20 mins -10 mins

For your next batch, don't add any heat. If your grains are milled somewhat fine the majority of the conversion happens pretty quickly and a slight drop in temperature won't affect your beer to any degree.

For your next batch, don't add any heat. If your grains are milled somewhat fine the majority of the conversion happens pretty quickly and a slight drop in temperature won't affect your beer to any degree.
Well I mashed in my kettle that was on heat....I will be getting a mash tun before the next batch

I used to mash in boil kettle on stove top
If you are doing small 1G batches you really want to fill a pot so there's little headspace and it'll hold temp during mash better but as @RM-MN says, if you've got fine crush, you only need worry about first 20m for temp. You absolutely do NOT want to overshoot temp as you kill the enzymatic process that converts starch to sugar. I found it easiest to heat strike, dough in, put lid on pot and put the whole thing into the oven that had be set to lowest or Keep Warm setting, close oven and turn it off. I never bothered with a tun. One more thing to clean. Then I went BIAB and never went back.

Latest posts

Back