ABV a bit too high.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skipstr21

Reaction score
What is the correct way to lower the ABV? I made Kolsch that was excellent except the ABV was a bit high for the style. I was shooting for about 4.6% but ended up with 5.73%. I did a single infusion mash at 150% for 75 mins. The recipe is as follows:

8.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US-Rahr (2.0 SRM) Grain 71.17 %
1.12 lb Pilsner (Rahr) (2.0 SRM) Grain 9.96 %
1.12 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 9.96 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt, Light (8.0 SRM) Grain 8.90 %
1.50 oz Hallertauer [3.80 %] (60 min) Hops 19.3 IBU
0.50 oz Saaz [2.80 %] (5 min) Hops 0.9 IBU
1 Pkgs German Ale/Kolsch (White Labs #WLP029) [Starter 35 ml] Yeast-Ale

Will an increase in mash temp to 152 accomplish this?

I would simply reduce the amount of base malt! I use 9lbs total in my kolsch, the last batch came in at 4.3% ABV, with the same mash schedule and yeast you used. The Munich might be a good place to start, I'd think it might bump you out of the style, color-wise. All IMHO of course. ;)

:mug:well for competition purposes, I suppose thats a worry (never having competed, I really wouldn't know) but I (personally) wouldn't have a problem with a slightly high ABV

I don't think a 2 degree increase will make that big a difference. Maybe mashing for only 50 or 60 minutes will help. What was the efficiency you hit vs what you expected in your recipe?

My efficiency is always around 65%. I know it's low but it's consistant so I just use slighlty more grain. Odd thing is my OG was just a little high (1.048) but it finished at 1.004 which was a lot lower that I expected. It's not that big of a deal becuase it was one of the best beers I've made. I'm just wanting to "tweak" it a little so the ABV is closer to style. I'll try slighly less grain next time. Thanks!

When did you take your FG reading? 1.004 seems real low. Is it possible you read with an elevated temp (mid 70's) or while carbonated?

The only brew i've ever gotten to (or wanted to) go go below 1.008 was Apfelwein.

I'm gonna start a thread called "How do I make my beer taste like a marathon runner's taint?"

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :( It was a reasonable question with a good motive. :)

Edit: I do actually know how to make my beer taste like......Oh, never mind.

if you want to do it with this batch, you can water down with distilled water post-fermentation.

you can adjust your efficiency, but that's kinda silly...most people want to IMPROVE their efficiency ;)

you can lower your malt bill.

you can use more water...not sure what vessels you are using or if there was room to ferment more, but yeah.

if you like the taste, i wouldn't change it. mashing higher will give it a different profile.

I'm new to all-grain, but seems I read somewhere (lord knows I've been reading everything I can get my hands on lately) that if you mashed at the higher end of the 'range' you would end up with a lower ABV -would that be a solution (and thus allow you to keep your calculated grain bill) ?

I designed the recipe with beersmith and hit the OG right on. I just can figure out why the FG ended up so low. The FG was corrected for temp. Don't get me wrong, we floated the keg while tailgating and everybody loved it. It's more a curiosity as to why the FG was so low and I'd like to be able to control it better. By the way, the WL029 Kolsch yeast is really awesome. It has such a unique flavor. I would highly recommend this recipe.

I'm gonna start a thread called "How do I make my beer taste like a marathon runner's taint?"

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :( It was a reasonable question with a good motive. :)

Edit: I do actually know how to make my beer taste like......Oh, never mind.

Thought about that, but I don't think I want the gasses emanating from my fermenter smelling like a bus-load of cheerleaders....

Back