About to bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pumphrey

Reaction score
Hey everyone, this is my first post and first brew! Just had a couple of questions before I bottled. Is there any way to know if the batch will be good before I bottle? There is also what seams to be yeast floating at the top of my secondary fermenter, a few small particles. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance

Yes perfectly normal to have yeast rafts floating around. Everyone has a different little method for bottling and Revvy has a great beginners sticky in the bottling/kegging section.
Just be mindful to put your fermentor in place about an hour or so before hand so it has time to settle out what you shook up from moving it. Always rack from about 1-2" below the surface. What was your OG and FG? how many days since OG? Have you tasted your samples over the course of the week? You can usually get an Idea of how its gonna taste by that, but certainly dont judge your final product by what green beer tastes like.

I haven't checked the gravity since I wracked it off into the secondary fermenter. And it's a glass carboy with a bung so I didn't want to take it out, for fear of contamination. Thanks for the other info though. So when I taste it putting it in the bottles will it just taste like flat beer?

Um no, take a gravity sample, first sanitize your beer thief and sanitize the stopper, bung, airlock etc. and don't worry about contamination, the carboy won't be open long enough to be so worried. Furthermore you already risked contamination by racking to secondary lol. Taste the sample you used for gravity, it should be flat or very slightly carbed and have some characteristics of the flavors, but ifit tastes wrong, dont worry its usually nothing time won't fix. Keep us posted!

Just an update. So I transferred from the secondary into a brew bucket for bulk priming. I got about 60 bottles out of it which was great. It's a lager but it's quite dark. I did the math and it's gonna be about 5.5% which is pretty decent in my opinion. Is sediment in the bottom of the bottles normal?

image-1103802494.jpg

Yes,you can't avoid at least a light dusting of sediment at the bottom of the bottle in bottle carbonated beers. Just give it time in primary or secondary to settle out clear or slightly misty before bottling to minimize the amount.

Hahaha there were 56 regular bottles and a timeless fine colt 45 bottle. lol it's either that or waste it! pics attached

image-57312607.jpg

Is it normal for the beer to be cloudy? It's been bottled for a week now, is it gonna clear up?

Back