About Everything Went Wrong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greyhound002

Reaction score
Took my sweet time setting up a recipe for my third batch. I was going to try a partial mash. Got my grains in the mail (munich) and realized I forgot to order them crushed. Spent about an hour with a rolling pin and eventually just called it good. Mashed 1# of the munich and a half pound of honey malt (already had it, and it was crushed, hoping it was a fail-safe) at 155F for an hour, added my DME and hops per recipe. Usually I cool my wort in the sink in an ice bath. I could NOT get the wort below 80F, so I said screw it and pitched my yeast. Took my gravity reading before pitching the yeast, adjusted for termperature, and my OG was 8 points too high. So let me wrap up:

- Pitched yeast too hot
- OG too high
- Used a recipe calculator for all my stuff, including said honey malt. Was supposed to have an OG of 1.053, ended up with a 1.061 for an American Wheat.

So, if you were kind enough to read this, did I really screw the pooch? I am afraid my yeast will not fully ferment. Who knows, maybe it'll turn out but if it doesn't I won't be terribly disappointed as none have yet. HA! :rockin:

Thanks for readin',

Cody

Do you have a way to temp control the beer during ferm? Pitching at 80 isn't the worst thing ever if you have a way to cool it down quickly.

The room the beer ferments in is pretty steady around 62F.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Home Brew mobile app

A higher than expected OG will probably taste the same just add about 1% more ABV.....not the worst thing in the world imho.

80-F isn't a temperature that will kill yeast so imho that's not that big of an issue.

I'm sure your beer will be just fine.

A higher than expected OG will probably taste the same just add about 1% more ABV.....not the worst thing in the world imho.

80-F isn't a temperature that will kill yeast so imho that's not that big of an issue.

I'm sure your beer will be just fine.

Yup. SBRHAHB:tank:

Generally, the higher the fermentation temp the more solvent like flavors you'll find in your beer. That being said, the type of yeast you use are important too...yeasts that tend to be flavor neutral like American ale yeast won't be acutely negatively impacted by higher temps whereas a yeast like the Wyeast Weihenstephan Weizen will turn your beer into a throw away batch at high temps.

Also, even if you pitch at a high temp , if you can get the temperature down pretty quickly, say 12 - 24 hours, you'll generally be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Haha true true. I live in Iowa, where its just below freezing outside right now. Sat the bucket outside for about three minutes and that dropped the bucket to about 72F, and I know that'll acclimate to around 64F in the room. Whew. Got a little too worked up for a minute there.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Home Brew mobile app

if the room the beer is in is around 62, then your beer will cool down and ferment around 68 or 70, it should be fine, just you pitched high but do not worry, have a beer and relax the temp will settle
it is all a learning experience, you did not run the first time you stood up, you had to learn to take a step first, running came a few weeks later

Latest posts

Back