AB Super Bowl Ad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't like pumpkin peach ale and I mill my malt by hand and my rauchbier made with 100% Weyermann beech wood smoked malt is very golden, so I totally get what they're saying.

I drank rauchbier, IIPA and oatmeal stout during the game. What a wuss.

End Sarcasm.

This ad makes me want to smash things, and it took me a bit to figure out why. Check out the imagery used for the two camps. For Budweiser it's tough guys, factories, axes chopping wood, big machines, manly ****. For craft beer it's curly mustaches, gentle sniffing, sweaters, khaki pants, tiny drinks.

So basically what they're saying is "Stop being a fag, drink like a man". Which of course is what I was told constantly throughout my early twenties when I didn't want to drink bud. So thanks for the memories Budweiser, go **** yourself.

But c'mon you know so much about it is true. I work in one of the most blue collar professions (fireman) and let me tell you for "most" guys beer means Coors Light or Bud Light. Sure they will drink lighter craft beer at a party since it is there but they rarely if ever buy it. And let me tell you....they ain't going to pour it into a glass much less consider what type of glass the particular beer should be served in. I have seen guys basically shotgun really good IPA's.....because in their mind that is how you drink beer. This is the market that craft beer is going to have a hard time cracking. Most people don't really care about the beer they drink.

I started drinking Budweiser like 40 years ago ( I was 16) the drinking age was 18 back then, but my best friends dad was a Budweiser beer geek and he would travel around and get Budweiser produced in different regions, like St. Louis, Jacksonville, FLA, Williamsburg, VA, New Jersey and I think they had one in Maine. He would have been a homebrewer, but it wasn't legal back then. He knew all about the brewing process and had even met many of the head brewers at Budweiser. As a trick he would get a bunch of the different BUD beers out and have someone else pour it in a glass and he could tell you which BUD brewery it came from. So we drank a lot of beer that we pilfered from his collection. There was no BUD Light back then. So fast forward 40 years, I'm drinking Rodenbach and homebrewed saison and kolsch, watching the game and this Bud ad comes on, and I'm disgusted by it like a lot of people.
Why couldn't they call talk about BUD's origins in Czechoslovakia, the great traditions of the company, the Clydesdales, the racing speedboats how its been so popular? An American tradition. Their negative approach was a huge turn off. The l last time I had a bud (several years ago) I thought it wasn't as good as I remembered it. I haven't gone back and now I won't.
I agree with Phunhog above, most people don't know or care what they are drinking, they drink without thinking, don't want to actually taste anything, and just want to get wasted. Those are the AB customers.

Last edited:
Folks, Northern Brewer has just announced their newest recipe kit - Pumpkin Peach Ale.

10947186_10155403685570508_8944312037570686128_n.jpg

Folks, Northern Brewer has just announced their newest recipe kit - Pumpkin Peach Ale.

Just got that email, hilarious! :) Was curious to see if it's been mentioned here yet. I think it's cool how quickly they came up with this.

Rev.

But c'mon you know so much about it is true. I work in one of the most blue collar professions (fireman) and let me tell you for "most" guys beer means Coors Light or Bud Light.

Don't underestimate the power of the BUD marketing machine.

30 years ago these same guys wouldn't have been caught dead with a beer with the word 'light' on the label. That would have been considered unmanly.

That's awesome. Great idea.
Just remembered Neil Young's "this note's for you" which was somewhat of a social comment on the "This BUDs for you" ad campaign:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC5iLNC5FBE[/ame]

Highlights include "spuds" mackenzie dog licking models chest.
Video ends w/neil young holding up beer can "poisoned by nobody".

30 years ago these same guys wouldn't have been caught dead with a beer with the word 'light' on the label. That would have been considered unmanly.

So are you saying that in another 30 years the firehouse will have a tub full of Mango-Ritas?

Reminds me of Biff in Back to the Future, 30 years ago. "I have your car towed all the way here and all you have for me is LIGHT beer."

I had a couple friends and family members call me today mocking me for drinking Pumpkin Peach beer. Doesn't matter if the last beer they saw in my hands was a solid American Pale Ale. That doesn't matter anymore.

Nope, for now on, I will be that guy who drinks only Pumpkin Peach. Thanks for that, Budweiser!
:smack:

Having gone back to watch the add again. I have come to the conclusion I want to be drinking some microbrews with people that look like the bud drinkers in commercials.

I had a couple friends and family members call me today mocking me for drinking Pumpkin Peach beer. Doesn't matter if the last beer they saw in my hands was a solid American Pale Ale. That doesn't matter anymore.

Nope, for now on, I will be that guy who drinks only Pumpkin Peach. Thanks for that, Budweiser!
:smack:

Tell them Budweiser made something extra tough-guy just for them:
53fdfaf8c59a6.preview-620.png

If AB-Inbev's corp drinker is stupid enough to buy that ad campaign, they won't lose another 2-4% of sales to craft brewing again this year. I wouldn't bet the rent money though....

I just don't get it...lets break down what they did here:

1. Give a sense of community and entitlement to their core community...customers gained? Zero

2. Alienate any craft drinker or at least point out that their marketing shows they know nothing of craft beer. Customers gained? Zero, probably even a sum loss due to the idiocracy and hypocrisy of the ad.

3. Scare craft breweries looking for an exit strategy. Bud literally just made fun off a brewery they purchased a week ago. Not exactly a great business plan for their future purchase, nor does it help with the relationships from past acquisition. In all, a hit to their current model of buying craft breweries.

Very strange ads overall last night and I'm guessing several ad companies are losing some contracts today. This ad was a no-win. You please the crowd that is loyal and going to buy your beer anyway while appearing ridiculous to the area of the industry you know is taking market shares. It reminds me of the Nationwide ad. People say this ad gets you talking and that helps with sales. How does it help with sales if people are only talking about how stupid you come across?

My first fleeting impression of the commercial was "peach pumpkin ale? that sounds awesome!"

Kudos to Hopstories and NB for bullying out a retort so quickly!

But seriously, I may have to brew a peach pumpkin ale this fall...

When it aired, 30 people lifted up the IIPA that I brewed for the party and toasted. LOL...

+1...the last of my Heady clone got killed during the game!

More power to them.. I was told this is the kind of keen marketing that brainwashes people into buying their beer. ok.

Bud literally just made fun off a brewery they purchased a week ago.

Literally, indeed. Dick Cantwell is not pleased. This was in today's Chicago Tribune:

"The rub mostly came from the fact that Elysian's new owners mocked the notion of "pumpkin peach ale" just months after Elysian brewed a beer called Gourdgia On My Mind — a pumpkin peach pecan ale made with Karo corn syrup."

You don't need to taste your beer...you're a man, dammit!

I thought this was a pretty good rebuttal:
Budweiser is a garbage beer, even by garbage beer standards. It’s not “beer for people who like beer.” It’s beer for people who hate beer, a beer for people who are looking to slowly get buzzed as a means of numbing the pain while their life slips away and death creeps up behind them. It’s sadness in a bottle, regret in a can. Drinking Budweiser isn’t a lifestyle choice; it’s a plea for help.

http://freebeacon.com/blog/garbage-beer-producer-mocks-people-with-taste/

:mug:

I had one person regurgitate that commercial at me today and I unloaded on him. I really don't give a flocc about their product. I don't like it and I don't drink it. even if it's free. and they can make fun of me sniffing my beer or analyzing the initial taste. that's fine. but for the love of all things barley and hop related, keep your alcohol delivery system sheep out of it! you've been drinking the same brand of beer for 30 years? happy floccin' b-day! it still don't mean you know enough about brewing to tell people how the beer s#!ts on the beechwood.

One of the 2 beer needs from work asked me when I'm growing a mustache. A**hole.

Reminds me of this BWW commercial from a couple years back:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPEbZzElvi8[/ame]

And a photo of the brewer to show that we're not a bunch of bottlecap-sniffing, high-fallutin' dandies.

Folks you don't get how great that commercial really was. We are still talking about it. That is a huge win. BMC drinkers are actively using it to mock craft beer drinkers. Major success.

This commercial provided a call to action that lasted far longer than the 60 second spot. Probably will win all sorts of awards and draw lots of new business to the agency that designed it.

If you are offended and want this type of promotion to go away you need to stop talking about it.

Folks you don't get how great that commercial really was. We are still talking about it. That is a huge win. BMC drinkers are actively using it to mock craft beer drinkers. Major success.

This commercial provided a call to action that lasted far longer than the 60 second spot. Probably will win all sorts of awards and draw lots of new business to the agency that designed it.

If you are offended and want this type of promotion to go away you need to stop talking about it.

But the real question is: do you know anyone that rushed out to buy some Budweiser because they saw the ad? I don't.

But the real question is: do you know anyone that rushed out to buy some Budweiser because they saw the ad? I don't.

Exactly. We are talking about how stupid it is. This will increase no sales and only makes bud seem like they don't even understand their industry

Quote from Elysian founder Dick Cantwell regarding the ad:

"I find it kind of incredible that ABI would be so tone-deaf as to pretty directly (even if unwittingly) call out one of the breweries they have recently acquired, even as that brewery is dealing with the anger of the beer community in reaction to the sale," Cantwell said Monday morning by email. "It doesn't make our job any easier, and it certainly doesn't make me feel any better about a deal I didn't even want to happen. It's made a difficult situation even more painful."

Why are they making fun of craft brews while simultaneously buying up any that show some success? Because they know people are turning away from their product!
23.gif
29.gif

Why are they making fun of craft brews while simultaneously buying up any that show some success? Because they know people are turning away from their product!

Apparently, A-B InBev is so big now that they don't even know what beers are being produced by them.

In an interview with Ad Age before Bud's Super Bowl commercial ran, Budweiser VP Brian Perkins said the ad was not meant to criticize competitors or craft beer in general, noting that "the only other beer that we reference in the spot is a fabricated, ludicrous flavor combination of pumpkin peach ale."

Well, yeah, it IS a fabricated flavor combination. Fabricated by a company that you just bought. *******.

Being employed in the marketing business myself, I'm afraid to say you make an excellent point. Though I stand with others and say it still exploits their ignorance.

This will increase no sales

What makes you think the intent of the ad was to increase sales? Is that the only purpose of advertising?

Do you think it's possible that sometimes, the purpose of an ad is to keep people from leaving the brand, rather than draw new customers in?

Do you think such a powerful and memorable ad might discourage a current Bud drinker from venturing out and trying new brands that he/she otherwise might have been tempted to sample? If it does, then wouldn't that also be considered a "successful" use of advertising?

Back