AB InBev Sells Northern Brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will take those (slim) odds over the oxidized results from autosiphoning.

As opposed to oxidized results from using a spigot, or having the spigot under the level of the trub...... I have been using an autosiphon for 8+ years and have not had oxidation issues. Could my beer be better? Probably but I would skip the spigot then and go to closed transfers. I probably will, some year....

Living in California, i have used NB for some large purchases to avoid tax. Plus the occasional 20% off can make a deal.
Note to feds: i always report all out of state internet purchases on state and federal tax returns!

The axe has fallen on Northern Brewer's Minneapolis store. Just got back from there to see what's the deal with the 30% off clearance sale this weekend and got the bad news. Sacks of grain were flying out the door. I picked up a ton of hops because that's about all that was left already.

I'm so sad this location is closing, but at least the St Paul store and Midwest in St Louis Park are staying put. Now I guess I have an excuse to get my own grain mill and start buying bulk grain, because Midwest's grain area sucks (unless they expand it now) and St Paul is an annoying trek in a direction we never go.

Wow, I was worried they might close one or more stores. I honestly figured it would be the St. Paul store though. The Minneapolis store was much newer and larger.

One has to wonder if Midwest and the St. Paul store are in danger.

I figure those two stores are safe. Losing either one would be a huge blow to the brewing community and I'd hope the owners are aware of that (and care).

I figure those two stores are safe. Losing either one would be a huge blow to the brewing community and I'd hope the owners are aware of that (and care).

That is a wonderful thing to hope for. Until we get some sort of indication that Blackstreet Capital Holdings is in this for anything other than money, we can probably count on them to do whatever is most efficient for profits. If that means one store, then it will be one store. If that means brick and mortar are a financial burden, it could very well mean online sales only.

What are the locations of the 3 stores in proximity of each other? What was the cost of running the bigger store that they closed? Blackstreet Capital Holdings I am sure looked at these and made a choice that 1) one of the stores was competing with another. 2) The overhead of the larger Northern Brewer store was not cost effective.

I was surprised when NB and Midwest merged that they stayed separate entities. I would have expected 2 brick and mortar stores of the same name and a central online warehouse.

I was there Friday and the employees told me they opened the NB Minneapolis location to compete with Midwest Supplies before they merged. Now it doesn't make sense to keep the two stores since they are so close together (12 miles). They also said the MWS store will keep the Midwest name due to strong online branding and the growth of their hydroponics. It didn't sound like the St.Paul and MWS retail locations were in any danger of closing.

That makes a lot of sense. No point in competing with yourself.

I noticed tonight on Midwest's site that they have new grain prices, so that's awesome! I'm hoping this means that they'll get NB's expanded in-store grain selection too. I've only been in there once for grain and I was really disappointed. I'll swing in to take a look next weekend, probably.

fe418ded-1cf5-49f2-ac41-e9a489d9777f.jpeg

I can't imagine there's much left by now but i'm sure there's a bargain or two to be had.

The axe has fallen on Northern Brewer's Minneapolis store. Just got back from there to see what's the deal with the 30% off clearance sale this weekend and got the bad news. Sacks of grain were flying out the door. I picked up a ton of hops because that's about all that was left already.

I'm so sad this location is closing, but at least the St Paul store and Midwest in St Louis Park are staying put.
How many employees are S.O.L?

I doubt MW or NB's St. Paul store will be in danger. They are practically at opposite ends of the metro and there is not likely much competition between the two. Together they serve a metro of 3.5 million, and with 2 other local brew stores out of the picture, the remaining stores will do fine.

I noticed tonight on Midwest's site that they have new grain prices, so that's awesome!

Have you ever bought grains from Midwest online, or just in the store? Looking at their new, lower prices - the per-LB prices are pretty competitive (although the free shipping threshold is higher than Morebeer).

If you buy something like 40 pounds of briess 2-row, I'm wondering if it would come in four sealed 10lb bags, or if they measure in the store and put them in Ziploc bags. If it's sealed, I may have to add $145 of grains to my cart for $20 off and free shipping.

Back