Aa %

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
Is there any simple way to judge the AA% on home grown hops? Or do you assume they will be close to the typical?

H.W.

Some people will brew a hop tea with them to compare potency to a known value (buy the same variety whole leaf and use the same # of cones and see how yours compare.)

I typically just use mine under the assumption that they are 80% of typical because it's not a finely controlled growing environment. So far I haven't been disappointed with anything I brewed with them.

Another method I've heard about is titration, basically as the above poster said make a hop tea of a known alpha hop and add small amounts of sugar to the known alpha tea until sweet overcomes bitter, record the amount, add sugar to achieve the same amount of sweetness and compare amounts. This will tell you roughly weather there is more alpha or less than the known variety. Cheers.

If you go in search of Dr. Leonard Perry from the University of Vermont, you can find a .pdf that gives a rough guideline for determining the AA content of your homegrown.

Performed this at the weekend on some amarillo @ 10.9%. I used double concentrations of hops and couldn't get a colour change from the phenolpthalein. I'm not sure this is an entirely credible process for determining AA% of a variety.

Back