A Vienna Lager that the uninitiated would enjoy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer_Bob

Reaction score
I just got my hands on a fridge that I can dedicate totally to brewing. I am very happy, especially since I didn’t have to pay for it. I can fit three fermenter buckets in it which means I have room for two lagers to ferment and a space left over for cold crashing my ales.

Now, I enjoy a good lager but I am partial to ales. However, most of the beer drinking masses are accustomed to lagers. So while I go about my business brewing ales that suit my taste, I would like to brew some lagers that I can take to parties and embassy functions that will be enjoyed by most beer drinkers, and of course that I can enjoy as well.

Since one of the criteria is that I enjoy it we will steer clear of anything approaching BMC (though I understand those are actually tough to brew). I enjoy Sam Adams Boston Lager as do most of the people I work with. I also enjoy lagers out of Mexico like Dox Equis and Negra Modelo though as my palate has evolved they don’t seem as flavorful as I once found them. I believe all three are Vienna lagers.

So I think what I am looking to brew is a Vienna Lager that is somewhere between a Boston Lager and a Negra Modelo in strength of flavor. Preferably leaning more toward the Boston Lager side of the scale. I want a beer that most beer drinkers, even those who are iffy about homebrews and craft brews, can enjoy. And then once I have their attention I can introduce them to the really good stuff. :)

So does anyone have a Vienna Lager recipe that will fit the bill? Please keep in mind that for now I am limited to extract brewing. Thanks!

As an added insentive, the recipe I go with just might be consumed by the US Ambassador. But no pressure. ;)

Revvy's Award Winning Vienna Lager.

I'll have to sit down and figure out an extract version when I get into work. The challenge is that mine and quite a few of them don't use any 2-row as a base malt, we mash vienna....So doing an extract version/extract vienna lager is not going to be the same as an ag version. Unless you can find extract with a high vienna content.

My was created while listening to this Basic Brewing episode, there might be some extract info there;

December 29, 2005 - Vienna Lagers
We talk to Chris Colby of Brew Your Own magazine about Vienna Lagers, a style favored south of the border. Chris takes us through the style and how to make great Vienna lagers at home.

Click to listen-MP3

There's also some good articles as well.

http://***********/component/resource/article/1935-vienna-lager-tips-from-the-pros

http://***********/component/resource/article/1597-vienna-lager-in-exile

From the BYO article

Weyermann also makes a Vienna malt extract, called Vienna Red, that is made with Vienna malt, Pilsner malt and melanoidin malt.

From Weyermann's website-

VIENNA RED
red brown, unhopped extract with a high concentration, produced from Weyermann® Vienna Malt, Weyermann® Melanoidin Malt and Weyermann® Pilsner Malt
it is produced by a decoction mashing process
the malt extract tastes sweet with a well-balanced malt aroma
Weyermann® Vienna Red Extract produces typical Amber Beers, Red Ales, Maerzen, Alt Beers and Bock Beers

http://www.weyermann.de/eng/produkte.asp?PN=2&idkat=27&umenue=yes&idmenue=37&sprache=2

I'm also toying with doing a Vienna lager in the next few months. Right now I only have two things chosen, Vienna base and Bavarian Lager yeast. I'm considering Revvy's recipe just because I can't find any others with more than 2 or 3 posts and no more follow up.

Which hops is more appropriate? Hersbucker (GR) or Saaz (CR) for this kind of beer? I have a few ounces of Hersbucker left and 4oz of Saaz that I've been itching to try.

Like Revvy mentioned, Vienna lagers usually have Vienna malt in them. I haven't ever seen the Vienna extract mentioned, but it would be worth it to find some. You could also try a PM with Vienna malt, and use light or extra light DME for the rest of the fermentables.

I've done Bradsul's Vienna lager recipe and loved it. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f59/brads-vienna-lager-80356/ It uses all hallertauer hops, and all Vienna malt. I did it as a decoction.

Thanks for helping out with this guys. Point taken on the Vienna malt. I just checked out the various DME available out there and none of them have Vienna in them. If I am going to do a Vienna lager I want to do a Vienna lager. So, while I am not ready to move on to AG brewing, I figure this beer will be as good a time as any to step up to partial mash brewing.

So let me adjust my criteria. The recipe should be something I could make via extract OR partial mash. Please keep in mind it will be my first go at it so nothing TOO fancy. :)

ETA: Oops, just saw Revvy's mention of Weyermann. I'll check that out too but now I am already pumped up about doing a partial mash. :)

What about other lagers, like an Oktoberfest (marzen)? I also like Maibocks, and they are pretty easy to do as an extract batch. I have a recipe for a maibock-ish recipe, called MY-bock, and it was really great for non-craft beer drinkers as well as beer snobs.

Bocks! I didn’t even think about those. Those can be done with the Amber DME available at AHS I believe. Like I said, I do have room for two lagers. If I am going to try my hand at a partial mash it might be a good idea to have an extract one going simultaneously so if I do screw it up my first time, I have the extract Bock I can still give out. So I am thinking a partial mash Vienna and an extract Bock.

Hit me with you’re MY-bock recipe if you don’t mind.

Bocks! I didn’t even think about those. Those can be done with the Amber DME available at AHS I believe. Like I said, I do have room for two lagers. If I am going to try my hand at a partial mash it might be a good idea to have an extract one going simultaneously so if I do screw it up my first time, I have the extract Bock I can still give out. So I am thinking a partial mash Vienna and an extract Bock.

Did you happen to look at AHS' kits? They do have an extract vienna lager kit. http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produ...d=374&osCsid=2b8efde735105803b2c1950b9e0cabcc

Vienna lagers are often made with a combo of pilsener and munich malts instead of straight Vienna. Jamil's recipe calls for 4# Pilsener LME, 4.5# Munich LME, and 2 ounces or Carafa Special II as the steeping grain, for color I presume. Those ingredients are easy enough to find, and would make an accurate Vienna Lager, I think. Ray Daniels talks about this combo in Designing Great Beers as well. This style seems to be one that extract can nail

Vienna lagers are often made with a combo of pilsener and munich malts instead of straight Vienna. Jamil's recipe calls for 4# Pilsener LME, 4.5# Munich LME, and 2 ounces or Carafa Special II as the steeping grain, for color I presume. Those ingredients are easy enough to find, and would make an accurate Vienna Lager, I think. Ray Daniels talks about this combo in Designing Great Beers as well. This style seems to be one that extract can nail
That's what I usually do, 50:50 Pils:Light Munich with Carafa Special II for color. Tettnanger or Hallertauer to ~20 IBUs. Wyeast Bohemian Lager yeast (2124) or White Labs German Lager yeast (WLP830) or W34/70 if using dry.

IMO, Sam Adams Boston Lager is too hoppy/bitter and too much caramel for a Vienna (per the guidelines).

All of my recipes are in the "recipe" dropdown, under my avatar.

Good stuff, elkdog. Thanks. This is my first foray into examining recipes and there is a lot to take in.

Back