a very very sad day at my store

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Karr

Reaction score
A co-worker of mine, 23 years of age, has been dealing with what seemed to be suicidal alcoholism.

No amount of urging could get him to seek help. Lost his license to drive, got in fights, ended up in jail.

Two weeks ago, he was found face down in the street....at the hospital they found his blood alcohol level was over five.

Yesterday, he didn't show up for work....his mom found him dead in his apartment.

23 years of age....what a waste!

Jim Karr said:
A co-worker of mine, 23 years of age, has been dealing with what seemed to be suicidal alcoholism.

No amount of urging could get him to seek help. Lost his license to drive, got in fights, ended up in jail.

Two weeks ago, he was found face down in the street....at the hospital they found his blood alcohol level was over five.

Yesterday, he didn't show up for work....his mom found him dead in his apartment.

Sorry to hear about your loss. If its any consolation....I believe the powers that be ultimately decide our fate & I can only assume he is in a good place where his stein is never empty...Please dont take offense to the "Stein is empty" phrase cause i hope when i move on that I have a stein full of the best brew known to man.

The ironic thing is that he had just finally (tentatively) decided to go to rehab later this month, but there was a standup comic he wanted to see. He had already purchased his ticket, and he wanted to wait on rehab until after the show.

Jim Karr said:
The ironic thing is that he had just finally (tentatively) decided to go to rehab later this month, but there was a standup comic he wanted to see. He had already purchased his ticket, and he wanted to wait on rehab until after the show.

I can see by your sig your a man of faith (which is admirable to me). With that being said you know that your savior our lord will take care of this guy...He has moved on to what i would consider a better place....j316....peace

I saw that happen to a young man once. He was a successful CPA the first time he showed up at the bar. Last time I saw him alive he danced topless on the bar for drinks while people laughed and threw change at him. He was yellow from liver failure and practically homeless.

Well, here's to going in the way that makes you happy.

Jim Karr said:

Jim - I sorry to hear this. That's too bad. I feel for yah. :(

That is sad to hear, I am sorry for the loss. As brewers that is some thing that we should be aware of. Alcohol has a very bad side to it and in a way, we are all dancing with the devil.

cnbudz said:
That's awful. Why didn't his parents (or the courts) force him into rehab?

You cannot "force" anybody into rehab. Ever heard the saying "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink" ?

Its sad to see a soul go to waste. My heart goes out to him and his......

That really is awful. I hate to see young lives wasted, no matter the cause. It seems like some people get into self destructive behaviors and just can't get out. My heart goes out to you and to his family.

Back