A tribute to Oberon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerfly

Reaction score
Bells Oberon is in full swing at the local pubs and stores and I will be brewing something similar this weekend. After reading many different recipes and borrowing some good ideas from brewers all over the web, I hope to now have a solid recipe.

Most everyone agreed to harvest Bells yeast strain so I have a great starter from 5 Oberons about ready. Although debated among the brewers with no definite answer, I will do my first decoction mash. The hops were recommended by a representitive of Bells and the times and amount from other recipes.

Before I start, I thought I would post and get some pointers/opinions?

5.5 Gallon batch size, 65% efficiency, starting SG 1.056

5Lbs.4oz white wheat malt
5Lbs.4oz pale 2 row
1Lb.8oz Munich malt
10oz Cara-pils
1oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker 60 minutes
.75oz Saaz 30 minutes
.5 oz. Saaz 15 minutes
1 oz Saaz dry hop 7 days
1 oz Cascade dry hop 7 days
Protein rest 129 degrees for 20 minutes
Decoct 9 qts. and bring main mash up to 154 degrees for 60 minutes
Mash out 168

Sounds pretty awesome, I may need to borrow that recipe! I will probably use all Hallertauer and Cascade as I dont have any Saaz in the freezer.

I am going to pick up a case of Oberon this afternoon. Gonna try to get a starter built up from the dregs from about 8 to 12 bottles. I will usually use the yeast for about 3-4 batches over the summer/fall. A wit, pale ale, IPA, and sometimes amber. Its sort of a summer ritual for me now I guess (also coincides with a similar use of WLP029 Kolsch yeast).

I did this last year but I dont think I stepped the original starter up enough and ended up with some off flavors (medicinal mostly) in my first batch. Each batch after that was great! Make sure your starter is big!

Back