A tragedy has occurred in the beer universe...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigJack

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A few months ago, my son wanted to help me with bottling day. Though I thought we had washed his hands very well and that I observed him carefully in every step, that batch fell victim to a gusher infection. Since I've never had any such problem in ten years, I cannot help but conclude that the issue was gerrmy young boy hands.

I haven't been able to bring myself to dump the batch until tonight- partially because it is sad to dump any beer and partially because I don't enjoy the beer shower that occurs when you pop a top on a gusher brew. But after bottling my latest batch and needing space, I bit the bullet and dumped the infected brews tonight. Now my heart is heavy and my clothes reek of beer.

So I raise a glass to 24 bottles of beer that faced the worst fate that can befall a beer- undrinkability. So long, fellas. My liver is at half mast.

Could be worse

image.jpg

How'd the li'l tike manage to infect so many bottles - unless he was washing up in the bucket?

I think the jury is going to need more time on this "pin the infected batch rap on the child" thing...

Cheers! ;)

How'd the li'l tike manage to infect so many bottles - unless he was washing up in the bucket?

I think the jury is going to need more time on this "pin the infected batch rap on the child" thing...

Cheers! ;)

Infected the bottling bucket? :mug:

Could be worse

Good grief! It took me a minute to realize that was the ceiling. Hope you have some extra paint lying around. I sense a room in need of a makeover, especially considering the interesting wallpaper pattern on the wall...... oh wait. That's krausen..... :D

Did you taste the beer to confirm infection? could you have added too much priming sugar? your entire batch was 24 bottles, 2.5 gallon batch?

Yup. 2.5 gallon batch.

I've considered overcarbing as a possibility. He helped me with cleaning and with adding the priming sugar.

And yes, it could have been something else besides him. I was careful on brew day, but a bug or two could have jumped in the pool anyway.

I suspect it was over carbed. Usually time in the fridge helps. I had that happen one so I uncapped each one slowly to release pressure. I then recaped and pasteurized, haven't had a problem with the gushers since.

He squinted against the sun and the wind as he looked down, then spit into the dust. "These are done." he said quietly.

"But Paw! You're not gonna …"

"I'm afraid so, son. It's the only thing left to do. The whole herd's infected."

The sun glinted off the blue steel of his opener … the same opener that had been passed down from his father.

The boy knew what to do. He opened the drain.

Somewhere overhead --- in the pale blue, cloudless sky --- a buzzard started to circle...

He squinted against the sun and the wind as he looked down, then spit into the dust. "These are done." he said quietly.

"I'm afraid so, son. It's the only thing left to do. The whole herd's infected."

The sun glinted off the blue steel of his opener … the same opener that had been passed down from his father.

Somewhere overhead --- in the pale blue, cloudless sky --- a buzzard started to circle...

Epic

I also have had to dump 24 bottles before due to infection. Sad times.

Though it was a 5g batch... Can't blame a man for trying to drink em anyways!

But Paw! There is Maw's kettle! We can cook 'em up like Ol' Festus said! He says it makes Kentucky Lightnin' Paw!

Back