a short fig mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeneDaniels1963

Reaction score
I am not really sure what to call this. Here are the ingredients:

1 1/2 lb dried figs (chopped)
1 1/2 cups rasins
zest, pulp and juice 2 oranges
2 1/2 cups honey
3/4 sugar
Nottingham ale yeast
16 cups boiled water

SG was 1.100; after 4 days in the bucket it was 1.024. That makes it about 8.8% abv

I removed the pulp and tasted. The fig taste was a bit weak so I steeped another 8oz of dried figs in 1 cup water, then added that. Tonight I will bottle it up into pet plastic and store in the fridge.

The taste is very figgy, but light and nicely carbonated. I am quite happy with the result, but what should I call it?

You're adding orange zest from 2 whole oranges? Is that correct?
Are you going to backsweeten? Is 1.024 the final gravity? That's high for a natural stopping point. I'd be nervous about bottle bombs. You fermented this for 4 days total? Start to finish?

I usually let mine go for at least a month in the primary, but I suppose yours has sugar, not all honey. Did you boil your honey?

I would call it mead. Your addition of more fermentables caused the carbonation, by not knowing how much fig sugar you've added, and not knowing if you fermentation was finished (steady SG readings over several days) you could get a rather big build up of gas even in the fridge. So drink up! ;)

You're adding orange zest from 2 whole oranges? Is that correct?

Are you going to backsweeten? Is 1.024 the final gravity? That's high for a natural stopping point. I'd be nervous about bottle bombs. You fermented this for 4 days total? Start to finish?

I usually let mine go for at least a month in the primary, but I suppose yours has sugar, not all honey. Did you boil your honey?

Yes, 4 days start to finish. And no I did not boil the honey, I just warmed it in the microwave. As for the oranges, I zested them, then peeled away the pith before cutting them up into chunks.

As for the gravity, I know the ferment is not finished, but I plant to keep it in bottom of the fridge. That should keep it from restarting. Or at least that has been the case with a raspberry concoction along the same lines.

Maybe I will cold-crash it in the freezer first. That should help stabilize it a bit more.

Gottcha. So your intention is to drink this soon?
Only idea for a name I have is Figurature

Gottcha. So your intention is to drink this soon?

Yes, I had a glass last night. I just have to remember that these ARE figs, thus drinking too much of this will have the same effect as eating too many figs :(

Could I call it a fig beer? Or is beer technically must include fermented grains?

IMHO beer is fermented grain malt AND hops in for bittering. That's why Mike's and Red's Apple Ale isn't beer. It's most fermented sugar with flavor. Yours seems to be more of a short fig mead, like you said. It would be more so w/ switching the sugar for honey.

IMHO beer is fermented grain malt AND hops in for bittering. That's why Mike's and Red's Apple Ale isn't beer. It's most fermented sugar with flavor. Yours seems to be more of a short fig mead, like you said. It would be more so w/ switching the sugar for honey.

The only reason I did not go all honey for added fermentables was that I did not have enough. So I guess "fig short mead" it is. And it is really good, esp. really cold.

How about Fig-in-tastic

I was going to do figs too at some point due to the highest sugar content in that fruit....sounds like a nice drink.

Someone had commented that it would be a bottle bomb because the residual sugar. So I want to share how I am keeping my figgy fizz in the fridge without problems. I am using a very simple check valve.

I have taped 4 quarters to the lid of the 1 gal plastic bottle, then leave the bottle just slightly loose. This lets off pressure, but keeps just a bit of carbonation in the bottle.

In theory you could increase the quarters for a higher PSI check valve, i.e. higher internal pressure before release. But I am not convinced another quarter or two would make any practical difference. I have tried to think of a way to place 6-7 oz on the lid, that would really build the carbonation, but I don't see a practical way to do it.

Back