A Rose By Any Other Name

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ECBoiRC

Reaction score
Hello, I’m simi new to home brewing and wanting to know if anyone knew anything about using flower petals 🌹 in primary when making mead? And if you have any ideas of flowers to turn into mead let me know.

Hello and welcome.
You may get more responses to your question by posting it in the Mead Forum which is reached by clicking on "Forums" and the drop-down menu.

Welcome to HBT, @ECBoiRC

wanting to know if anyone knew anything about using flower petals 🌹 in primary when making mead?
Hibiscus flowers (petals) have been used successfully in beers. Even in wines, IIRC.

If petals to used in the primary, they'd be best added after fermentation has completed, or to a secondary. Doing so prevents the delicate flavors and aromas from being blown off by the huge CO2 production during the main fermentation event. Similar would apply to meads. I'm quite sure other aromatic flower petals or even leaves can be used, as long as they aren't poisonous.

You may get more responses to your question by posting it in the Mead Forum
There's a section dedicated to Mead.
Thread moved to our Mead Forum.

IslandLizard,
HBT Moderator

Perhaps a rose petal tincture mixed in just before packaging? Make the mead and tincture separately, test dose a small amount, then scale up the dose for the full batch.

Latest posts

Back