A real fermentation problem!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joesf35

Reaction score
I brewed a "possible" lager over 120 hours ago.
12 lbs pilsner malt, 0.5 lbs caraaroma malt, and 0.5 lbs honey malt, plus some hops. 5 gallon batch with an OG of 1.064. Mash was 90 minutes long. Water was distilled with some added, epsom salt, calcium carbonate, baking soda, calcium chlroide.

I pitched a czech pilsner wyyeast smack pack at 75F. I waited 72 hours, lifted the lid and nothing was happening. I checked the smack pack date and it was for May 2012, or 6 months old. The smack pack also did not inflate.
I then panicked and decided I would settle for an ale and through in some safale-05. I waited 12 hours and suddenly decided I still wanted a lager, so I got the temp down to 55F to put the safale to sleep while I went to the homebrew shop to get another lager yeast.

Another smack pack, Muncih lager yeast (they were out of czech pils yeast), this time it inflated, I through it in at 64F.

Now it has been another 36+ hours at 66F and no activity still!

I usually use white labs liquid yeast or dry yeast and make a starter but skipped the starter this time due to the smack pack.

Any suggestions?

Pitch more into my yeast cocktail? Wait? Dump to free up the fermentor and brew again?

Even if it does get going now, which isn't looking probable, I will not know which yeast has started, the ale or lager. I will be tempted to lower the temp for lager ferm and possibly put the fermentation to sleep again if the safale is what starts.

I wouldn't add more yeast. Unless you're ready to brew right now, I'd wait and see. It should get started eventually. And obviously next time make a starter.

What about going for the lager or ale?
I clearly didn't think the yeast cocktail through, but should I try and push the temp down? I am worried if I leave it in the 60's my lager is going to produce some nasty flavors (if the lager yeast takes over). But if I drop it down I may put the yeast to sleep and risk infection from the beer sitting for a week (if the ale yeast takes over).

I brewed a "possible" lager over 120 hours ago.
12 lbs pilsner malt, 0.5 lbs caraaroma malt, and 0.5 lbs honey malt, plus some hops. 5 gallon batch with an OG of 1.064. Mash was 90 minutes long. Water was distilled with some added, epsom salt, calcium carbonate, baking soda, calcium chlroide.

I pitched a czech pilsner wyyeast smack pack at 75F. I waited 72 hours, lifted the lid and nothing was happening. I checked the smack pack date and it was for May 2012, or 6 months old. The smack pack also did not inflate.
I then panicked and decided I would settle for an ale and through in some safale-05. I waited 12 hours and suddenly decided I still wanted a lager, so I got the temp down to 55F to put the safale to sleep while I went to the homebrew shop to get another lager yeast.

Another smack pack, Muncih lager yeast (they were out of czech pils yeast), this time it inflated, I through it in at 64F.

Now it has been another 36+ hours at 66F and no activity still!

I usually use white labs liquid yeast or dry yeast and make a starter but skipped the starter this time due to the smack pack.

Any suggestions?

Pitch more into my yeast cocktail? Wait? Dump to free up the fermentor and brew again?

Even if it does get going now, which isn't looking probable, I will not know which yeast has started, the ale or lager. I will be tempted to lower the temp for lager ferm and possibly put the fermentation to sleep again if the safale is what starts.

Holy $hitshow Batman. Best you can hope for is some kind of Kolsh-ish beer IMO. Leave it alone now. You have added enough yeast to get something going at 66, which is in the sweet spot for the US-05 you have in there.

Just some friendly advice, you really need to look at several aspects of your brewing process, especially if you want to make lagers. I wish you the best of luck with this beer!

Not to change the topic but can you bullet me some of those several aspects for a lager? I know a starter is needed, and always make starters, (last time I will make that mistake). What else is amiss?
I am pretty sure the czech pilsner yeast never would have gotten going, so that's where the yeast cocktail came into play.

Each lager yeast probably has different specifications of what it likes. Read the notes on the White Labs or WYeast website for the yeast and then punch your numbers into Mr Malty. Using a smack pack is no replacement for a starter, especially in a lager (where many times it is recommended you have a starter as large as 6 liters).

This thread made me smile!!! Joe, you're a bit ADHD dude! Check your gravity, taste and make a decision. My vote is don't toss it out.

Ha! Working two jobs right now, raising two kids under age 3, and trying to find the headspace to brew!

Yeah, that's rough...especially the two jobs part. Good luck, hope the beer turns out good. Chime back in when you check the gravity.

Back