A question for the Yeast Cognoscenti...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fastricky

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I want to try an experiment so I can better understand the influence of a specific yeast strain to the flavor of an ale.

I'm going to brew a typical 'London' style ale - something straight-ahead. I'd like to split the 6 gallon batch into (3) 2 gallon fermentations. Each will be fermented with a different yeast.

At the moment I have 3 yeast slurries in the fridge I'm considering using:

- Safale S-04

- Safale S-05

- Wyeast Ringwood #1187

I think these should each be different enough to provide some interesting results when A/B/C'ing the finished beers.

I love Nottingham, but thought S-05 is close enough to cover off that 'flavor'.

I also have some Wyeast 'London' yeast and 'ESB' yeast... any reason to substitute one of these for the above 3? I thought the Ringwood would be a good enough English yeast strain to offer that perspective...

All thoughts welcome!

You should just try it. There are distinct characteristics to all three of those you have listed. Wyeast London and S-04 should be damn near the same thing, and I like the idea of using S-05 as sort of a neutral strain.

I would keep the fermentation temps around 64 for all three to really get the best out of the English strains, while keeping the S-05 neutral.

Back