A question about starters and stir plates.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been making starters for my last seven batches or so. My last three batches, I have used a stir plate.

When I did not use a stir plate and just used the shake every now and then method, there was a visual indication that my yeast was viable with the krausen. Now when I use a stir plate, nothing forms. There is nothing spinning but liquid. No foam, nothing. I was always worried that my yeast was dead but when I pitched, it still came on strong in full force. So my I guess my question is, when you make a starter and use a stir plate how do you visually tell that your yeast is working?

Mine generally produces a krausen, however, I guess it is possible for you to miss it. Are there any markings on the side of your flask from krausen? It could have to do with a longer growth phase rather then a short growth phase and going into fermentation. How long before you make a starter and use it?

I usually make my starter the night before I'm going to brew. The general time range is about 15 hours on the stir plate. Let it sit for 2 hours. Decant, pitch. I've often wondered if I didn't give enough time to my starter.

I find that after about a day and a half I will start to see some lighter and darker colored swirls in the turning liquid. Terrible description but
if you see it once you will understand what I mean. If you see that it is a good indicator it is done.

I never see krausen in my starters unless the stir bar gets thrown (the one time that happened was a big mess). As mentioned the appearance usually tells when it's done - starts out looking like wort and ends up thick like a golden milkshake. If you're only letting it sit for 2 hrs then decanting you may be throwing a way a lot of yeast, though. I generally let them go for 24 on the stir plate then chill for 24 hrs before decanting.

I usually make my starter the night before I'm going to brew. The general time range is about 15 hours on the stir plate. Let it sit for 2 hours. Decant, pitch. I've often wondered if I didn't give enough time to my starter.

I would suggest cold crashing you starters before you decant for 24-48 hrs to flocculate all the yeast out... the way you are doing it you will be dumping a lot of viable yeast down the drain.... the yeast that stay in suspension longer are usually the better attenuaters too.... This can be a big deal when you start repitching from batch to batch b/c you are selecting for faster floccing yeast that doesn't attenuate as well.

I usually make my starters 3-4 days ahead of my beer to allow enough time for cell growth & a good cold crash...

Here is one of my starters at T = 0 hours and T = 38 hours:

t01-64853.html

t38h1-64854.html

Back