A Q. for whisky makers.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peanutaxis

Reaction score
Hi, are there any malt whisky makers out there that can help me with mashing?

I have gleaned that for beer one often starts mashing at around 45 degrees C, but that for whisky it is higher. Like 62 degrees C.

Does anyone have a 'recipe' that they use to make all barley whisky?

thanks,
p

It aint legal to make whisky in my neck of the woods.. I wish it was !

2 cents. While it's legal to distill in New Zealand and you may be able to get some information from other people where it's legal to undergo this process, maybe even some professionals, you may get some better information from a distilling forum or website. Some of us wouldn't be able to say lest we put forth information that either unvalidated because we haven't done anything, or worse, that we give evidence of something that it's not legal to do in our respective area.

I think it's taken way to seriously in this forum.. if someone wants to offer an opinion then so be it, if they're in a country that it's legal, even better - this is the WORLD wide web !!

That being said, the HBT-nazis will squash this thread before the morning.

I think it's taken way to seriously around here, if someone wants to post their opinion/experiences, so be it. If it's legal in their country/territory, even better - this is the WORLD wide web !

That being said, this thread will be deleted by the HBT-nazis before the morning IMHO.

I don't distill, but I would think that a distiller would benefit from the most fermentable sugars possible. This website, in the first paragraph would be something you're looking for in a mash schedule. Again, I don't distill but most of the same mashing properties apply to making a high alcohol dry beer.

I think it's taken way to seriously around here, if someone wants to post their opinion/experiences, so be it. If it's legal in their country/territory, even better - this is the WORLD wide web !

That being said, this thread will be deleted by the HBT-nazis before the morning IMHO.

You and the other guy think alike. :D

Ok if I were to make a barley mash "that wasn't for distilling" ;) I would want the most amount of fermentable sugars and the least amount of unfermentables. I would mash in the mid 140s. I would also probly do 2 thin batch sparges

It wasn't that long ago that prohibition outlawed ALL alcohol production in the country. It was even more recently that it became legal to brew for personal consumption. And there are still certain counties in the country where alcohol in all forms remains illegal.

States and the Federal Government collect substantial revenue from taxes on legal alcohol sales. They tend to jealously guard that revenue stream and, as a result, pay close attention to anything that may divert revenue. There are stronger forces at work on this issue than most of us are likely aware. We enjoy the ability to brew for personal consumption because we are aware of and abide by the applicable laws in force. It's not paranoia it's common sense. I enjoy brewing, but I would not risk my liberty to practice it. If these forums were not available I would probably not have the information I need to improve my product and would probably not have started brewing in the first place.

I think it's taken way to seriously in this forum.. if someone wants to offer an opinion then so be it, if they're in a country that it's legal, even better - this is the WORLD wide web !!

That being said, the HBT-nazis will squash this thread before the morning.

Just because it's on the internet doesn't mean you get to treat it like your living room. The legality isn't the issue. The administrator has decided that distilling talk isn't fair game here, for whatever reason, and it's his house. No need to be rude about it.

Just because it's on the internet doesn't mean you get to treat it like your living room. The legality isn't the issue. The administrator has decided that distilling talk isn't fair game here, for whatever reason, and it's his house. No need to be rude about it.

This. If you don't like our forum, that's fine. You are welcome to find another one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back