A Pictoral how to brew an extract kit.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great thread. Like the idea of using the bottling bucket to aerate the wort. Does it splash much? Dont want wort all over the kitchen floor.

Great thread. Like the idea of using the bottling bucket to aerate the wort. Does it splash much? Dont want wort all over the kitchen floor.

Not with it hanging over the kitchen counter like that. The 6.5 gallon fermenting buckets are too tall for it to splash up when you first start transferring. Once the liquid gets near the top you have a bunch of foam so it doesn't splash at all.

I have added extra detail in the posts and put a link to this thread in my signature. If you guys/gals know anyone interested in brewing or just want to reference this thread in the future just look for any post by me and the link will be in my signature.

I hope this helps!

Good stuff, Im about to do my first brew in about 20 years. This was a great help.
Do you boil your water before making them into ice?

Nice tutorial, with regards to aerating, most dry yeast contains adequate cell count and does pretty well pitched w/out...of course YMMV:mug:

My first batch I didn't aerate and the yeast worked well. It just works quicker with aeration. Plus it's good habit to get into for when I start using liquid yeast.

You are already steeping grain in a bag. Just get a bigger bag and kettle to mash into and do BIAB. It is ridiculously easy (and cheaper). Seriously. You already have the "cool with ice" part down. You can always supplement with some extract if you wish. I have found a source for LME that is shipped in 1 pound packet (home brew gear canada) and on my Winter Warmer, I added two pounds to hit my SG of 1.075.

It's really not rocket science if your water is good.

nice. very nice that people take time to share their methods. i just bought a video camera so i'll be on soon with my method. very similar except no ice, wort chiller

Great post. Thanks for taking the time to display your methods. I am definitely going to try the bottling bucket aeration method for my next batch. I'm still doing extract batches, and for my purposes, it suits me well. Maybe I'll get into AG eventually, but for now, extract has been great and I've made some awesome beers, imo. Most importantly, can I ask how the beer turned out? This definitely looks good and I'm interested in brewing this in a couple months for the winter season.

Great resource for us newbies. Thanks!

BTW, BFC - you heading to Cornerstone again this year?

great post!!! i am greatly appreciative of it and will be using this as a guide for my first batch. good work and it looks like an awesome brew! cant wait to try a festive batch myself.

Great post. Thanks for taking the time to display your methods. I am definitely going to try the bottling bucket aeration method for my next batch. I'm still doing extract batches, and for my purposes, it suits me well. Maybe I'll get into AG eventually, but for now, extract has been great and I've made some awesome beers, imo. Most importantly, can I ask how the beer turned out? This definitely looks good and I'm interested in brewing this in a couple months for the winter season.

It turned out great. I put a six pack aside so I can hold on to it a bit longer. I still have 5 bottles left and it keeps getting better.

Great resource for us newbies. Thanks!

BTW, BFC - you heading to Cornerstone again this year?

I take it you saw my other videos. Nah, I haven't gone since 2007. I quit going when I quit getting paid to go. Also, it's a lot further to Macomb, IL from Arizona than it is from Ohio. Cool festival though.

DUDE! Totally awesome thread. So helpful. If brewers had a Nobel prize, I would definitely nominate you. Keep up the good work.

very nice! thanks for the info. im gonna do my first batch soon and pictorial was very nice to see. whats the soundtrack of your vid? i somehow got more into the music than the actual video. lol.

This is AWESOME. I just brewed my second Extract kit yesterday and I opted for placing filtered water and Ice into my wort to bring up to the 5 gallons and cool at the same time. Today, I was having second thoughts on wheter or not I should have used Ice, since it cooled the wort to 75* in only about 5 minutes time. Way faster than I cooled it down for beer #1.

But basically you completely put me at ease. And gave me a great idea with the bottling bucket for aeration. Keep up the great work dfc!

Excellent thread!!!!!!!!!!! I extract brew exclusively - well actually I would if it was legal here in AL - but if I did it for real, this thread was a great help!!!!

Thanks Much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very helpful.
I am about to brew my first batch, an extract from Northern Brewers, and I just wanted to ask a few questions.

Do you add the ice to the hot wort in the brew kettle or just pour your hot wort into the bottling bucket then add the ice? What do you use to filter hops and what not from brew kettle to bottling bucket?

Is the ice melted in the ten minutes it takes to cool the wort, and if not, do you wait until it is melted to take a SG reading?

Thanks for a great post.

Very helpful.
I am about to brew my first batch, an extract from Northern Brewers, and I just wanted to ask a few questions.

Do you add the ice to the hot wort in the brew kettle or just pour your hot wort into the bottling bucket then add the ice? What do you use to filter hops and what not from brew kettle to bottling bucket?

Is the ice melted in the ten minutes it takes to cool the wort, and if not, do you wait until it is melted to take a SG reading?

Thanks for a great post.

I have since moved on to AG, but on occasion I'll still brew an extract batch. As far as your questions:

I add half the ice to the kettle to cool it down some before I add the rest to the bottling bucket. I then pour my wort into the bottling bucket which has a sanitized nylon 5 gallon paint strainer bag in it. I pull out the bag once the ice is melted and the wort has been strained at that point.

Once the ice is completely melted I aerate by running the wort through my spigot into primary. Once everything drains into primary the wort is mixed very well and that's when I take a SG reading.

BTW, I'm glad I could help!

That is a pretty creative way to aerate the wort. I usually dont have an issue with my yeast. but I may start trying this on higher gravity brews. Great job on the pictorals!

When steeping the grains I gently mash the bag around a few times during the time it's in the water.

Great post. I'm sure it will help anyone who follows along with it.

bosco

That is a pretty creative way to aerate the wort. I usually dont have an issue with my yeast. but I may start trying this on higher gravity brews. Great job on the pictorals!

When steeping the grains I gently mash the bag around a few times during the time it's in the water.

Great post. I'm sure it will help anyone who follows along with it.

bosco

Thanks, guys!

For my first ever brew (Before I saw this method) I has a 2.5G water jug (The kind your grandfather had in his fridge before bottled water became popular) I just brought the jug close to frozen in the freezer and used it as my top off ice-water from the counter with my bucket on the ground. Similar to the way you did it. Not only does it cool the work, but you get 2.5G of spring water for top for around $3!

Nice work!

I read through a lot of threads here and read The Complete Joy of Home Brewing beginner's section a whole bunch before trying for first extract brew two days ago. I thought that I had a very good idea of what to do but ran into some procedural issues trying to get from flame out to pitching. It's amazing how many little details can be confusing to a new brewer!

My recipe (Brewer's Best IPA kit) said to add water to get to about 5 gallons while staying in the proper range of SG. I'm standing there with a bunch of wort in a carboy thinking "I will never get my hydrometer out of that little hole, but I don't want to keep pulling out vials of wort and chucking them." :confused: Your technique of using a bottling bucket as a step in between kettle and primary looks like it could help me out a lot. Also, giant blocks of ice will work much better than a snowbank to cool the wort. I'm pretty sure I actually just ended up with an igloo that helped keep the wort warm instead of cooling it down...

Thanks for really helping settle this process into my brain.

Back